The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gib70, Gray_Ghost, 55shaker, 1 invisible), 60 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,695
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
This is my 1947 Chevy pickup. About 6 months ago, I had a 2003 Ford Ranger with many after market parts and pieces. Due to my carelessness in driving, i was texting a friend, and was not paying attention and I ran off the road and hit a bunch of trees and unfortunately totaled my truck. I walked out of the wreck 100% unscathed thanks to the grace of God.

After a little perusing for a new truck, i found a 1946 Chevy truck that i wanted in my hometown of Borger, Texas!! But unfortunately, the day we called to buy the truck, he informed us that he had sold the truck to another man merely two hours earlier... bummer... So, after much more looking, I found this truck on craigslist, in La Mesa, Texas. After pleading with my parents constantly to buy this truck and go pick it up, they finally caved, and went to go get it for me.

When i got the truck home it looked like it was in absolutely mint condition, but after closer inspection over the next few days, i have found many problems with the truck although most of them are minor. All of the engine work was done to the truck before i got it.

The man who owned it before me pulled the stock engine, and put a 1977 Chevy El Camino 350 engine in it which he has bored 50 over to make it a 400. He put an Edelbrock carburetor on it, and some type of racing cam, although i do not know right now. He replaced the front end with the '77 El Camino front end and for also replaced the rear end with the El Camino rear end. He put a racing panel exhaust that when it is covered flows through 18" glass packs that are dropped off right after the cab.

Now onto MY work. After closer inspection, I realized that he did not get any dents out of the body, he just merely slapped Bondo onto the entire body, in some places as thick as half an inch!! so I am in the process of removing all of the Bondo from the truck right now. I have completely finished the right rear fender and am now removing the rust on it, so that i can re-apply the Bondo how it should be done, and then primer it to keep it from rusting further so that it will stay in good shape for my future paint job. I have completely removed all of the interior pieces except for the gas tank, the dash, and the steering wheel. I am removing all of the rust from all of the interior pieces before they go back on. I have to order a new headliner, because when it was pulled out, a massive rat nest fell out... ugh... well that's all for the moment. Ill keep you posted on my progress periodically. if you would like to see pictures of this truck as it progresses and such, then click this link

http://s380.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=frontend-1.jpg

and you can see my truck as it progresses along. Although this restoration may take a long time, I have a long time considering I am 17 years old. So I will have years to finish this project, although I hope to get it finished soon!

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to shoot me an email! [email protected]

Last edited by J Lucas; 09/28/2011 5:07 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome Jordan. Although you have a lot of work ahead of you its seems a lot of the swearing and cussing has already been done since some of the mods are in place. Glad to see a young man like you take interest and not afraid to get your hands dirty!

YOu'll find plenty of help around here. Just try to post your questions in the most appropiate forum for the best responses.

I can understand your feelings about the cosmetic job someone put on it to. Some folks just don't understand we had rather have them in the shape they were before they did all the pretty work.... since it all has to be redone rather than do it right the first time.
Good luck and you can also have a photo link added to your signature that will always be there....OH, when I clicked on your link it said I had to "sign in" to see the pics. Lots of folks don't like to "sign in" to places, like me, so if you can post a link that would take us straight to the pics we would greatly appreiciate. We love pics here.

Good luck, see ya around the garage...right after school smile

Alvin


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Sounds like you've got hold of a good project. Good luck with it, and don't get discouraged.

P.S. Do you still text while driving?? nono grin


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
No I don't text while driving anymore! And I advise anyone and everyone else not to either!

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Hi Jordan.....too bad about your Ranger, but look what you ended up with !
I'm not sure how many of the " old style " '47's were made before they switched over to the newer style, but I can't recall seeing another '47 out there ? Your truck already looks pretty good. I'm sure with some work it will turn out great and you will have a really unique ride.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0