The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, 1955 1 Series, joe apple, klhansen, GRNHydra, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, Opelika Tom), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#714844 01/25/2011 1:05 AM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
I need some opinions - when I drained my tranny (3 speed, 46 pickup) to remove the torque tube, only about 2-3 ounces of oil came out the lower hole. There was no oil in the u-joint housing. When I bought the truck from a dealer 6 mos ago I asked them to change the fluids (dumb, should have done it myself). Because I first had my garage repared, then puttered around with adding turn signals, etc. I've only driven it about 60 miles since I purchased. All the times I drove it it shifted fine, stayed in gear, synchro worked. Do you think it is permenantly ruined? Suposedely it was rebuilt about 5000 miles ago. Thanks.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
add oil and put it back together. The tollerances aren't as tight as a modern transmission. If you have noises or trouble shifting, THEN you will have problems. Transmissions don't normally wear out. They Break!

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
Did ant metal come out with the oil? I would believe it is fine, but I would at least take a cover off and look if I could.

A lot of the oil we carry in sumps, etc. is for endurance, sort of like having a 20gal gas tank vs a 1gal tank. need to stop and refill less often. As long as the gears had oil on them and weren't overworked, they should be fine.

Interesting story... A Dash8-300 once landed at an outlying airport and the crew reported problems selecting reverse thrust. The propeller and engine use the same oil supply. The mechanic checked the oil by the sight gauge and thought it was full (as had mechanics for the previous few days). He tried pouring in a quart anyway, to see the line move. It didn't... Eventually 14 qts went into a 12 qt reservoir. So this 2000hp engine was running for several days for multiple flights per day with only the oil that was on the gears. No damage was found when the engine was examined. I don't recommend filling less that manufacturers recommendation, but as long as the oil doesn't get cooked and the parts in contact have a film of oil, lubrication will take place.


Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice)
\'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run.
My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
Thanks for the input - the little bit of oil that drained looked brand new. I did stick my finger in and rub the bottom of the case then wiped on a paper towel. There were some extremely tiny silver flecks of metal, smaller than the point of a pin. That worried me, but since it drove OK, my first inclination was to fill and drive it and see how long it lasts. Thanks again.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
Fill it up and drive on! Unless it's making crunchy noises, you probably haven't done any serious damage.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
If you didn't work it hard, a few ounces of oil probably was enough. As suggested before, drive it and don't worry about it unless it starts making noises.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Check the lube in the rear end. The trans lube is probably back there. I used to find them real low on grease all the time back when I was in the service business.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 170
Wrenchbender - you were correct. When I opened the fill hole on the differential, oil came pouring out filling the whole opening, it poured out for a while. With the amount that came out I'm surprised my back brakes weren't soaked. I plan to replace the front torque tube busings/seals.
Thanks everyone who replied - gave me some peace of mind.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
This is the best old Chevy truck information place by a darn site.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
M
MLT Offline
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 63
No doubt about that Builder. I don't know how folks restored these old trucks without the internet and this site. I'm eternally grateful for all shared knowledge here. dance


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0