Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,286 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | the 2nd tank is from a 55-59, question is if it'd fit well in the space and under the straps, the fill necks are different [on driver side 55-59] ... no telling if the sender will be totally accurate, but the resistance will be the same regardless of voltage, both 30 ohms .... might keep looking for a good used AD tank
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 19 | Looks like I will be putting it up for sale and looking for a 47-53 tank. How much do you think I can get for the 55-59 used gas tank? Thanks
Last edited by Grnchev52; 01/02/2011 10:21 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I'ld go with a reproduction set. Tanks and senders are cheap for these era trucks, Scott | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | I thought 1954 chevy trucks had the pickup tube out of the top of the tank like in the photo.Both tanks fill from the passenger side in these photos,or am I missing something ?
Tim 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Used tanks are a gamble anytime you use them for the $130 that most vendors are asking you are better off biting the bullet on a new tank. You have to rememember these trucks were designed for a 5-10 year lifespan your asking and awful lot of a tank to go 60 years and then some. I have parted out 24 trucks in the last two years and never found a single tank I thought warranted cleaning/refurbishment for my own truck. As for value I could not give them away they go to the scrapyard with the rest of the bones. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 19 | Classicparts.com has a new gas tank for $160 parts and shipping. I'll just order a new one. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2011 Posts: 19 | How much did your Spectra tank cost you? So do I just go to Orielly auto and order it through them? I dont want to even chance it with classicparts.com after reading that... thats terrible | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 4,263 | Rockauto.com Shows them going for $143.00 plus shipping
Orielly has them for $250.00 according to thier web site.
I paid over 250.00 for mine, from my local Carquest. So that Rockauto price is a good deal depending on shipping.
Good Luck | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | There is a lot of good feedback on the spectra gas tanks.
I believe these trucks where built to last more than 5-10 years,just my opinion.
Tim 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | |
| |