| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Woodcmiami),
86
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,513 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 109 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 109 | What is the general best accepted way to do the frame.
My plan was to send the frame to a media blaster once apart. I have not checked Las Vegas for vendors and I know a couple guys that sent theirs (cars frames)to Los Angeles.
Eastwood sells something but it looks like it would take you forever to do a whole frame. I have no burning desire to say "I did every inch myself" and I'm 63, so there ain't that many shopping days til Chrismas, to quote Jack Nickleson.
I've read most of the tech articles about rust removal/stopping. Thanks for any input.
Last edited by Jon_S; 12/07/2010 8:25 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | My experience, I sanded my 54 3100 frame down, wore me out and a few sanders! Never again, took forever and wasted a lot of time. Next time going to media blast and check out powder coating. Which route you take will depend on what you want for the end result. For a daily driver I'd just clean it up and paint it chassis black. For a show truck spend the extra money and do it right. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I would suspect that being in your area the chassis may not be to bad. If thats the case a good power wash, maybe a little scrubbing with a brush and you could then coat it with the POR15. If your not familiar with it you may want to read up on it before making a decision.....but in the end it all depends on what you want and how good.
Aside from that I agree, after laboring on blasting my chassis. Never again!!! LEt someone else do it....and I still used por15 | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 232 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 232 | HAd mine blasted after I stripped it down. I think they only charged me about $50. Worth every penny. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Wish I was out in Utah, around here (North Central Illinois) the cheapest minimum that blasters charge is $75 an hour and you can figure on about three to for hours for a frame. But, it's the only way to go and you should be able to find a sandblaster locally in a town as big as Vegas. I personally like the chemical dipping but I'm looking to do factor original restoration so I'm willing to go with out food for a month to get the extra bucks. And I would agree with the other guys about cleaning and por15 if your not looking for a show quality driver. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/07/2010 2:22 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 90 | Hello, Well, I have a suggestion as to help you make a decision with what you want to do, call these people: http://crowncollisionfallon.com/And ask for Tony, this is where my 38 is getting done, they do all of their own blasting, body work, and painting, and even assembly if you want it done, they'll do what you would want them to do. They might ask for pictures to actually see for themselves in what condition your truck is in. Their email is [email protected]. Just a thought for you to might try in seeing what would be best for your pickup. Nevada 2010 Chevy | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 30 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 30 | I had mine done last year in northern California and paid a flat fee of 350 dollars. I will say check your rivets, I had about 10 that were lose and ended up drilling out every one took the fram apart had it blasted then bolted it back together with 7/16 Grade 8 bolts. Not an overnight project but it turned out great. Paint I used VHT Satin Black Chassis and it turned out great.
Kent 1953 1/2 ton Chevrolet
| | |
| |
| |