The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ponchogl), 115 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,506
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#701011 12/05/2010 7:04 AM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
I had the oil changed in my 72 today. I was planning to go with Valvoline Synthetic, but the manager told me it was "too old for sythetic." I didn't push the issue as I have no issue with conventional Valvoline but afterward I got to wondering if I'm missing something. I understood that the sythentics were fine for older engines.

Any thoughts?


Willie
'72 Highlander

Swamp Angel Truckers
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, no reason synthetic isn't gonna help reduce wear in an older engine as well as a new one. Now if your '72 is gulping oil then you would be better off staying with the cheaper oil.
Just how old was that "manager"?
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Based on all the reading I did on the subject before I made the switch to Mobil 1 synthetic about 7 years ago you should break a new or rebuilt engine in using conventional motor oil and then switch to synthetic after break in.

I am running synthetic in my 350 cu in. Gen 1 non roller cam Chevy V-8's, I have 3, and in my 1985 5.0 HO roller cam Ford.

No problems to report.

Last edited by Hot Rod John; 12/05/2010 2:51 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Denny Graham
Yep, no reason synthetic isn't gonna help reduce wear in an older engine as well as a new one. Now if your '72 is gulping oil then you would be better off staying with the cheaper oil.
Just how old was that "manager"?
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

The "manager" was a young guy to me, but not a wet-behind-the-ears kid. Everything else we talked about made perfect sense to me.


Willie
'72 Highlander

Swamp Angel Truckers
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I had my engine completely redone in 2006 and the mechanic that did the work said to use regular oil until i got some miles on it. i waited until i had 5000 miles then changed to synthetic at his advice before my trip to KC.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
I have a 1956 235 straight 6 in my 1949 chevy truck and I was told to only run nondetergent 30 weight and clean with kerosene every couple of oil changes. I would like to run synthetic but was told the old motors don't like it.

What do you think about the Z-ALT additive? Snake oil or is it good for my motor?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by Chuck49
I have a 1956 235 straight 6 in my 1949 chevy truck and I was told to only run nondetergent 30 weight and clean with kerosene every couple of oil changes. I would like to run synthetic but was told the old motors don't like it.

What do you think about the Z-ALT additive? Snake oil or is it good for my motor?
Someone gave you some very incorrect information. Detergent oil and synthetics will be just fine in your engine. Leave the nondetergent for the air compressor or lawn mower. As far as the additive, snake oil. Just use a known quality motor oil, I use Valvoline myself, and you'll be fine. Most of the cam/lifter problems come from poor break in procedures, incorrect assembly, or improperly matched/poor quality parts.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I run Mobil 1 15W50 in everything from lawnmowers to old tractors. I like the fact that synthetic oil can stand extended drain periods.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
>>clean with kerosene every couple of oil changes<<
What did they want you to clean, the paint off of it?
If you want the inside of the engine to stay clean, hook up a good PCV system and change the oil on a regular basis.
I use 30w nondetergent in the compressor, but 5-30 or 10-30 in the mower. My 292 gets Mobil 1, 5-30 on a six year old build.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I'm with Richard except for the 30w in the air compressor. It gets cold here and 10w suits it better. I have even been know to put used (but clean Mobil 1) oil in the mower. I can hear the outcry now! :>)


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
Not too old. You are perfectly fine using a full synthetic oil except, as mentioned, for breaking in a rebuilt engine. High ZDDP synthetics are available for older and high performance engines.
Quote
What do you think about the Z-ALT additive? Snake oil or is it good for my motor?
As Bill mentioned...snake oil. Modern oils, especially synthetics, are precisely engineered with an additive package to handle specific applications. Supplementing with off the shelf additives adds unknown chemicals and can actually cause problems...particularly the ones that contain chlorine.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0