The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (55shaker, 50Chevy3100, Perro), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,695
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
I just got my '53 pickup a little over a week ago. I have a few questions already...

1) My VIN # on the plate inside the driver door is H530019452, which came up at VIN Buster as a 1953 3100 Comm 1/2 ton.

The engine number on the block, LBA957399 came up as a 1953 Series 3100, 216ci Truck Engine here.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if this means that the engine is not original since the numbers don't match. My title uses the engine number.

2) What is the bet fix for wipers. Repair the vacuum wipers or change them to electric?

3) I noticed my right rear brake started smoking after I parked yesterday. I am going to have the brakes inspected. Any ideas what this could be from? While it is in the shop, what else would be good to have them inspect or do while it is there. I think that it has been fairly well maintained.

4) I have a 4 speed on the floor. It shifts fine. I was just wondering how to check the transmission fluid level.

5) I have been checking the oil, coolant and brake fluid levels and they are all good. Any other routine checks that are good to make on these old trucks?

6) I noticed that the accelerator sticks, and I have to tap the gas pedal to get it to decelerate. Is this an easy fix?

Thanks for your help and patience and I know these are probably dumb questions!


Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Welcome. They aren't dumb questions but the are for the most part routine questions that could be answered with a little research. However, I admit the search engine on this site leaves a lot to be desired.

The forums here have specific topics and several of your questions should be asked in another forum. Also, you'd probably get better answers with one question per post. There are lots of knowledgeable people here that don't mind sharing their knowledge but to answer all your questions would take a bit of time. We are all hobbyists and nobody gets paid for any of this.

I'll start with question 1. Body numbers and engine numbers didn't match. Most states used engine numbers for titling purposes until the mid '50s. I believe CA was one of those states.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I'll take number 2:
It depends on what you want. Electric are much more efficient however if you want to keep the wiper orig. then rebuilt it from A to Z


~Jim
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
10JOKA:

Welcome to the Stovebolt Page. I'm a novice myself, but what the heck, I'll take #3. (Besides, if I'm out of the ballpark, someone else will surely let us know. Then it'll be a learning experience for both of us!)

A couple of things come to mind, e.g. dragging shoe or axle lub leaking into the drum. Where there's smoke there's friction.

Heck, a rat could have made a nest in there and you're heating his home with the friction from braking!

The hub needs to be pulled and empirical information gained. Really. It isn't all that hard. I can attest to that. And I'm Automotive-Technologically Impaired. Just ask around.

As cletis said, it really is a good idea to use the Search feature (for easy access, located at the left side bar). You can gain A LOT of basic information from those who have been just right where you're at now and have become more enlightened.

Good luck to you, 10JOKA.

Last edited by Davey Do; 10/13/2010 12:21 PM.

Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
I want to show off my vast array of finite knowledge:

The answer to #4 is... on the right hand side of your transmission is a square 3/4" plug. Remove it with the wrench of your choice, sick your pinkie in there and feel for some lub OR you could try to fill it with 90 wt. gear oil 'til it runs out!

(If you do the Search you'll note that I asked the very same question some months ago.)

Last edited by Davey Do; 10/13/2010 12:37 PM.

Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 419
This is really fun and I'm having a really good time, but I must direct you to a great source thanks to Mr. Keith Hardy:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com

You will find Lots of information here.

BTW: Nice looking truck!


Dave
The Blue Funk: a '51 3100 4 OTF with a '57 235
In the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Just a general comment order a reproduction or search eBay for and original owners manual for your 53' it will cover lube points and basic maintenance and looks great in the glovebox.
Follow that up with the purchase of the requisite shop manual for your year and you will be well on your way information wise.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Please let us know if you find a 1953 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual.

A "reprint" 1948-1951 Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual with 1952 Supplement is available - some vendors say they have a 48-53 manual but that is unlikely to have a specific section for 1953 (even on CD-ROM). 1953 is very similar to 1952, which is very similar to 1951.

A 1953 Chevrolet Truck Operators Manual is available in reproduction (and originals can often be found on eBay, etc).

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
On #6, the first thing I'd try is to check over all the linkage and make sure nothing is binding. Lube everything to make sure it is moving freely. Maybe you need a stronger return spring.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
1) Others' comments are correct. Actually, this would suggest that you DO have the original motor. Every state is different, but I would think that if in "modern times" the engine was swapped, the Title would be changed to the VIN and not the new engine number.

2) I'd go electric unless you really want to go 100% stock on your truck. Or if you don't drive in the rain. That's personal preference.

6) Is it really sticking, or are you just kicking it out of fast idle with the throttle foot-stab?


1956 Chevy 3600 Dually
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Originally Posted by cfesting
...Every state is different, but I would think that if in "modern times" the engine was swapped, the Title would be changed to the VIN and not the new engine number.

In Texas, if a modern engine without an engine number is installed your vehicle gets an assigned number.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0