The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (chemanic, Shardean, Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 129 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,418
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#621929 02/20/2010 10:26 PM
D
Doms48
Unregistered
Doms48
Unregistered
D
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried fabricating a vintage looking camper box onto a stock 1.5 or 2 ton Advance Design Cab and Chassis? I have not seen anything that really looked attractive in my searches. They all seemed amateurish and ugly (along with rusty and rotten plywood) or were old milk/bread delivery vans, not real standard trucks.

I was thinking it would be cool to custom build a self contained "boondocking" unit on a short wheelbase 1.5 ton. Generator, atmospheric watermaker, toilet, kitchenette,propane furnace/stove etc etc. Most parts could be recycled from old scrapper camper trailers. Under framework in steel, rest in wood and insulated. Sheath it in flatstock roofing steel. Roll out awnings... trailer hitch to tow your boat or 4 wheeler/skidoo/whatever.

It would have to be somewhat streamlined to match the period (40's/50's)

Any pictures online?
edit: On further thought, I suppose you could just use the truck to pull a vintage trailer like a semi unit or bumper pull leaving the truck free to carry stuff and serve as transportation...

Last edited by Doms48; 02/20/2010 10:53 PM.
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
There is a beautiful 1945 school bus converted to a camper in the Gallery.


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
A couple of years ago I downloaded this picture of an Advance Design 1-ton I guess with a frame mounted camper here but this may not be what you have in mind.


Professional Novice
D
Doms48
Unregistered
Doms48
Unregistered
D
Frank50,
That is cool! Not quite "Art Deco" looking, but still looks like a nice camping rig.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 140
here is a pic of a retro shaped camper body I found on the net on what looks like about a '51 Ford COE

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2690466890104889838WNekNo


1959 Chevy Apache
1948 Chevrolet COE

Trucks are like womens handbags !! you can never have enough of them and they can carry all your worldly possesions
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
I'd like to build a camper that sits on my flat bed, which comes off easily when I don't need it.
Chris

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 5
i am giving thought to moding an old airstream onto my '42.


alton
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
Doms Go here http://home.comcast.net/~robmorg/oldmh/oldmh.htm
It is a buss but it's Art Deco.

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 184
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 184
I cant say I have ever seen any streamlined campers placed onto trucks. They are mostly boxy looking things.

I think it would be hard to use an Airstream trailer to make into a removable camper without it looking exactly like that is what you did. I would do some computer editing to combine a picture of your airstream with your '42. It doesn't take much skill to use Microsoft paint, although the quality you can achieve is limited as well. If you can't do that take a couple of pictures and cut-and-paste with a real photo. Make sure your pictures are taken from the same angle and from the same distance in either case.

Whatever you do if you plan well you will be more likely to be happy with the way it turns out. Many people do not plan enough and just start putting things together.


1946 Chevy OS 1.5ton, 1955 GMC 3100, along with other various IH,Ford,Nash,MGB,.....
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I found this one nearby and always thought it would be a great one to start with as it already has an art deco van;
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL366/751691/16744682/385788346.jpg







1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 186
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by 53moneypit
I found this one nearby and always thought it would be a great one to start with as it already has an art deco van;
http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL366/751691/16744682/385788346.jpg
That is awesome

Last edited by CORPO; 09/24/2010 6:21 PM.
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 99
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 99
I know this thread is almost a year old, but...

Streamline, I think, made a camper shell. They were a similar looking aircraft aluminum competitor of Airstream.

It would look great on an old bolt. Rounded corners, etc. There are some creative mods to vintage campers out there on the net. I think with sheet metal skills a nice camper could be fab'ed out of one of those old Airstreams.

Dave.


Dave.

What's the last thing a red neck says, "Hey guys watch this."
What's the last thing a redneck hears, "Go ahead Bubba, you can do it."

Build plan: 65 Chevy one ton, 5.9L Cummins HO, NV5600 six speed, 2wd 1972-1987 IFS disk front, frame off restore/mod, custom dump/flat bed, Alcoa rims, Dana 70 3.73:1 duals drum rear, plush interior, Guards red with Marine Corps decals. Donor is retired 2002 Ram 2500, 194K miles.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0