The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Peggy M), 169 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,214
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#678690 09/18/2010 9:57 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 64
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 64
My steering box on my 46 1/2 ton is tight with no play in it,but the seal was leaking. I took it apart cleaned the gunk out of it ,and I am going back with a new seal and gaskets.My question is what should I pack the bearings with grease then put gear oil in it ?Or is there somthing better to use?I have heard some guys using nothing but grease.
Thanks for your help
Longhorn

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Longhorn, I use Cornhead grease in mine and it's working good no leaks and streers well.It's made for John Deer so You can get some at one there dealers.

Pete

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
I used the same 80 weight oil that I put in the transmission, works fine. Don’t forget there is no seal at the top around the steering wheel shaft. If you over fill the lube can actually come out at the steering wheel


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
The OE specs call for a self leveling grease. The closest thing today is the John Deere corn head grease that Pete mentioned above.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 64
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 64
Thanks guys
I have a John Deere dealer close to me .I will get some corn head grease and use it.
Longhorn

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
Any grease with a 0 or 00 grade will work. These are the self leveling greases. I am using a 00 grade synthetic I bought from a grease vender at work. Even a normal grade chassis grease will work with a 50% gear oil mixed in. If the pitman shaft is good and tight and the seal works as it should, straight gear oil will work. The John Deere grease is sold at the big tractor dealers, not lawn and garden shops.

Joe


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0