| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (GRNHydra),
161
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,182 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 64 | My steering box on my 46 1/2 ton is tight with no play in it,but the seal was leaking. I took it apart cleaned the gunk out of it ,and I am going back with a new seal and gaskets.My question is what should I pack the bearings with grease then put gear oil in it ?Or is there somthing better to use?I have heard some guys using nothing but grease. Thanks for your help Longhorn | | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | Longhorn, I use Cornhead grease in mine and it's working good no leaks and streers well.It's made for John Deer so You can get some at one there dealers.
Pete | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | I used the same 80 weight oil that I put in the transmission, works fine. Don’t forget there is no seal at the top around the steering wheel shaft. If you over fill the lube can actually come out at the steering wheel | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | The OE specs call for a self leveling grease. The closest thing today is the John Deere corn head grease that Pete mentioned above. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 64 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 64 | Thanks guys I have a John Deere dealer close to me .I will get some corn head grease and use it. Longhorn | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 | Any grease with a 0 or 00 grade will work. These are the self leveling greases. I am using a 00 grade synthetic I bought from a grease vender at work. Even a normal grade chassis grease will work with a 50% gear oil mixed in. If the pitman shaft is good and tight and the seal works as it should, straight gear oil will work. The John Deere grease is sold at the big tractor dealers, not lawn and garden shops.
Joe | | |
| |
| |