The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, KEVINSKI, 3800GUY, TUTS 59, classicfins), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,589
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
first, I take it from reading that I have to take the hub off in order to remove the brake drum.

Do I have to replace the axle seals when I take the hub off? I'm mainly re-habbing the brakes, but if there are parts I need to replace back there, I'd like to do it now while I have it coming apart.

it's a two speed rear axle from a 52 2 ton.

-Mike R. :confused:

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Yes you must pull the hub & drum off as one
unit. You need to replace the seal unless it
happened to be replaced recently. Very unlikely.
You will probably need the spider ring that goes
between the adjustment nuts. They are usually
all bent up by now. Take your time & do every-
thing right or you can wind up ruining an axle
housing or wind up with grease all over the brakes. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I just did this to my 4400 last night. When I pulled the drum off, the inner bearing and seal stayed on the spindle so the seal sustained some damage. The local Car Quest store had them in stock. They must have used that seal for many years on many diff.s. So changing the seal is highly recomended and readily available, seems to be a no-brainer,
Good luck,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 85
got a part number for that seal (since you just got one).. might make my life easier!

thanks for the help too!

-Mike R.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0