The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BCBill, Gdads51, Lightholder's Dad, joe apple, Hawkman, greenie-reddy, TUTS 59), 190 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 105
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 105
So I've been reading up on what everyone says about tires. Basically stick to radials if you want to use it as a daily driver. I have a 58 Apache 3100 Fleetside that is completely stock, with exception of a CPP front disc brake kit.

I've got the wheel spacers to push out my original 15" wheels to clear the calipers.

Now what kind of tire? I need it to be tall, as it's the 3 speed, but I want it to be wide enough to handle well. Any ideas guys? Any first hand experience?

I appreciate your input!
Thanks


1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside/235/3 sp
Pictures at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=317454&id=855355703&l=0a0f773195
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
wide doesn't make it handle better, radials do - tall = truck tires, not P type

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Just a guess but it was likely 7:10x15 stock so I'm thinking 225R-75x15 would be about the same nowadays. An 85 series would be taller if there is such a thing in a 225. I agree with squeeze that going wider is not a good thing and will make it steer like a log truck. In other words don't try to re-engineer the thing. The builders knew what they were doing.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
I used 215/85/16s on mine and they look and drive great.

Pete

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 506
Pete,

How much clearance is there at the front fenders when turning
with the 215/85/16.

I removed 3 leaves from all 4 leaf springs
so I'm not sure if they will work on the front.

The rear shouldn't be a problem.


-Tom

1950 Chevy 3100 w/ 1956 235

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0