The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (5 Window 9434, Jon G, John Dlugos, jmoore, moparguy), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#663273 07/18/2010 3:55 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
I have a 1946 1.5 ton and I'm trying to replace the driveshaft center carrier bearing. The largest replacement one I can find is through Jim Carter Truck Parts and it's for a 3/4 ton. Does anyone know if the 3/4 ton carrier bearing will work for the 1.5 ton truck? If not, where can I track one down? Thanks.


1946 2 Ton Flatbed
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 474
I measured my old one and Jim Carter had one to fit my 1.5 ton 1953,4400.I posted here if anyone had or could give me information on replacing it they responded to take it to my local drive line shop !Well that wasn't what I asked !Its very easy you will just need a press .Good luck


Stovebolt Gallery
1952 Chevy 3100
1953 Chevy 4400
1965 Nova
Pics on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Does this picture resemble what you have ?
bearing support


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 128
It's the same as the picture in the link you provided, bowtietim. I guess any 1.5 ton bearing will work from 41-54.


1946 2 Ton Flatbed
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
The best way to get a proper bearing is to measure it and then match it to a new one of correct size. I think you find the bearing but the mounting may well be different and require a modification to replace an original style. I'm referring to the older types that mounted to a triangular plate unlike the modern "U" shaped style strap shown in the link above.

If all else fails you can have the midship stub replaced with a current one of correct tube size. A job for a driveline shop but one I've done many times and not difficult for them.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0