Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,111 Posts1,056,244 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#65255 09/03/2006 1:02 AM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 | What is the specifications on the 216 Thriftmaster oil capacity in quarts (without an external oil filter)
Best Regards Will
| | |
#65256 09/03/2006 2:50 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I'm not sure Limo but the oil should come to the full mark regardless if filter or not. I would put in 4 guarts and see where it comes to on the stick. If its a quart low add one. If you add a filter then put in 5 quarts and then start it up. After it runs a little then check it. The thing to remember is it needs to be on FULL with or with out the filter. | | |
#65257 09/03/2006 3:02 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I think that the capacity is 5 quarts w/o filter, 6 quarts with filter.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#65258 09/03/2006 3:09 AM | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 179 | Use 5 quarts on a 216 without an external oil filter.
Regards, Greg
When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
| | |
#65259 09/03/2006 3:26 AM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 | OK, I must have a non correct dipstick of the incorrect length or the dipstick tube has been altered, I have added 6 quarts and still no sign of oil on the dipstick.
Best Regards Will
| | |
#65260 09/03/2006 3:52 AM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 | Can someone out there who owns a 216 give me the correct measurements for the length of the dipstick tube (from the block to the opening at the top) and the length of the dipstick bayonet from the tip to the "stop" on the handle. I believe mine is of the wrong length, I cannot read any oil on the stick after adding 6 quarts to the crankcase. I do not want to over fill and run this engine for fear of blowing out the seals.
Best Regards Will
| | |
#65261 09/03/2006 4:02 AM | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 179 | Dipstick tube is 6 inches.
Dipstick length, from tip to the stop is 14.75 inches.
Regards, Greg
When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
| | |
#65262 09/03/2006 1:24 PM | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 108 | Thank You very much! The one on my engine does not match those measurements, obviously someone has made a substitution over the years.
Best Regards Will
| | |
#65263 09/04/2006 4:14 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | should be plenty of those around. If you have problems let me know. I just pulled a 52 216 that I am not going to use! | | |
#65264 09/04/2006 3:43 PM | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | The specs for my 38 are 5.5 qts dry & 5 qts to refill after an oil change.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
| |