The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Charles in CA, mick53, Gray_Ghost, BC59, klhansen), 168 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
What is the specifications on the 216 Thriftmaster oil capacity in quarts (without an external oil filter)


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I'm not sure Limo but the oil should come to the full mark regardless if filter or not. I would put in 4 guarts and see where it comes to on the stick. If its a quart low add one. If you add a filter then put in 5 quarts and then start it up. After it runs a little then check it. The thing to remember is it needs to be on FULL with or with out the filter.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I think that the capacity is 5 quarts w/o filter, 6 quarts with filter.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
Use 5 quarts on a 216 without an external oil filter.

Regards,
Greg


When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
OK, I must have a non correct dipstick of the incorrect length or the dipstick tube has been altered, I have added 6 quarts and still no sign of oil on the dipstick.


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
Can someone out there who owns a 216 give me the correct measurements for the length of the dipstick tube (from the block to the opening at the top) and the length of the dipstick bayonet from the tip to the "stop" on the handle. I believe mine is of the wrong length, I cannot read any oil on the stick after adding 6 quarts to the crankcase. I do not want to over fill and run this engine for fear of blowing out the seals.


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 179
Dipstick tube is 6 inches.

Dipstick length, from tip to the stop is 14.75 inches.

Regards,
Greg


When I go cruisin' in the old truck....women smile, men weep and dogs beg for rides.
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 108
Thank You very much! The one on my engine does not match those measurements, obviously someone has made a substitution over the years.


Best Regards
Will
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
should be plenty of those around. If you have problems let me know. I just pulled a 52 216 that I am not going to use!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
The specs for my 38 are 5.5 qts dry & 5 qts to refill after an oil change.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0