| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,374 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 | I drive a 59 Apache 3100 with a 283 and have a question. When I start the engine the oil pressure gauge idles at about 30-40 and when I accelerate the gauge shows near pegging at 60. Usually seems to float between 50-60 while I drive. I researched on this forum and most folks problems seem to be pressure that is too low. Is oil pressure at this level something that should worry me?
1956 Apache 1959 Apache 1966 DeVille
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 | Have you tried a second gauge? Has the oil pump been replaced? Are you running really thick oil?
A bad gauge can show high pressure, high pressure pumps will do this, and thick oil will boost the oil pressure some.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 | I still have the original gauge in use. And the original oil pump. I use 10W30 oil. I was just going to start replacing stuff and see whether the gauge pressure dropped, but first wanted to see if folks thought this was something to worry about.
1956 Apache 1959 Apache 1966 DeVille
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | sounds about the same as mine .... worry when it reads a lot lower hot
Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | PSI looks good to me. What is the PSI after it has been driven for 20-30 minutes? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 | As I recall it's still well above 30 PSI. Although I have had the truck up on the lift for a few weeks while I replaced the clutch, flywheel and rebuilt the starter and solenoid. I drove it for the first time in a while this weekend and noticed the oil pressure. So my recollection of the oil pressure after driving for a while may be faulty. I'm a bit of a newbie so I'm just trying to observe and learn. I appreciate everybody's advice.
1956 Apache 1959 Apache 1966 DeVille
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | Hot idle should be above 20 PSI, higher is no problem. At hot cruise RPM, 30 to 40 is normal. If it's somewhat higher at hot idle, no problem, as long as it doesn't go off-scale. Any pressure at all indicates the bearings are getting more oil than they need for lubrication, but since the pressure port isn't at the end of the circuit a few pounds extra can't hurt. The idiot light switches turn the light on below 7 PSI, so a lot of engines are out there running really low oil pressure, and nobody knows about it.
In over 40 years of auto repair, I think I've only seen two or three oil pump failures. The rest of the low-pressure situations have been caused by loose bearings- - - -a worn-out engine in other words! High oil pressure is caused by a sticky pump relief valve, a very rare occurrence! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 55 | Thanks for the education. That was very informative. Now I can move on to my leaky brand new master cylinder!
1956 Apache 1959 Apache 1966 DeVille
| | |
| |
| |