Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,482 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 | I tried this on the Geo metro forum, but I figured why not go straight to the best here at stovebolt.com. http://s353.photobucket.com/albums/r388/gmcdp/Random/?action=view¤t=DSCN0250-1.flv If you guys would, please listen to my new 92 geo metero (50 mpg, don't knock it) and let me know what you think. Engine sounds a lot worse in the video, so ignore that. The noise I'm talking about is the erratic clanking. I'm thinking it's got to be either the engine or transmission shafts (bearings) to be that deep of a sound (something heavy). It doesn't make the sound until warmed up, and when in gear it goes away I'm guessing due to less vibration at the higher RPM and more load. Any thoughts?
Dave
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | It's a geo. That's all that needs to be said.
Sounds like rod knock to me, but its hard to tell based on the video. Erratic clanking usually isn't good....... | | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | It's a geo. That's all that needs to be said.  yes it maybe a GEO but I have family members that have put over 200,000 miles on 4 of them over the years & they are still going. So I wouldn't be so quick to hate them, PLUS they are just as small as today's mico-cars and get better gas mileage...joe | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 65 | Could be the water pump bearing going out. Take the serpentine belt off and run it for a few seconds. If the sound goes away, it's either the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, a/c or belt tensioner/idler pulley. Sorry I can't be much more help than that. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | Too much background noise in there to say. Does it get worse when you're accelerating? Not revving it, but driving?
Something you can do to try and narrow it down is going back to basic mech-a-neckin. Get a long screwdriver or socket extension, and carefully, while engine is running place the end of it on thse things you can easily reach (alt, PS pump, bell housing, etc.) and the other end to your ear. those nifty mechanics stethascopes are evn better, but most folks down have those layin about. Basicly you'll be able to hear it louder & possibly chase it to the source. At the very least you'll know what area of the engine it's coming from.
If it is rod knock you may not hear any real difference unless you listen to the lower sides of the case by the oil pan where you'll get better sound transfer. 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | Could be the water pump bearing going out. Take the serpentine belt off and run it for a few seconds. If the sound goes away, it's either the alternator, water pump, power steering pump, a/c or belt tensioner/idler pulley. Sorry I can't be much more help than that. Cory is right on w/what he said. This is a quick way to narrow it down to where the noise is or isn't coming from....joe | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 149 | I actually enjoy seeing a "survivor" geo still around. Advertisements now-a-days say 37MPG on new cars, yet in the 90's they had a car with 50 MPG! Not sure what happened since.....
What makes me laugh a little is their horsepower rating! My friends geo had 50 horse power!
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | I hear ya there Rat. What I loved was my stock 45HP VW beetle that got 36MPG on 1940's technology. Better yet was our early 80's VW Diesel Rabbit that averaged 52MPG on the highway. Sure, it sounded like a coffee can full of marbles when it was cold, but no turbo, no engine managment super do-whatchit, just plain old fashioned get up and go. 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | I actually enjoy seeing a "survivor" geo still around. Advertisements now-a-days say 37MPG on new cars, yet in the 90's they had a car with 50 MPG! Not sure what happened since.....
What makes me laugh a little is their horsepower rating! My friends geo had 50 horse power! My niece had one w/the turbo charger on it. My sister told me it was about the size of a compact hair drier..joe | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 41 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 41 | I had 1 years ago. not a bad hoopdee but i got rearended and decided i didnt want to die in a matchbox. but it did get 50 mpg
55 stepside 3600 67 chevelle ss conv joe springfield,PA
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 28 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 28 | Check the harmonic balancer. A friend of mine has a geo and that's what was knocking. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 126 | I have had three different Chevy Sprints (predecessor to the Metro)and they were great little cars. In fact, for what they were, I think they were one of teh best cars ever built, especially teh Sprints. They started cutting a few corners once they made the Geo line....Still, solid, dependable, effecient, go any where (great in snow and on mountain forest roads)....Neat little cars. I ownder why they stopped making them? Seems like they would sell like crazy now. Probably too much smog.... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 1 | I have had 4 Metros, each one ended it's life with more than 200k miles. Current one may be my last...bot it with 40k miles this winter...hard to find low miled Metros these days. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | If the noise goes away in gear, it may be the connection between the engine and transaxle. Are not some of those drives in transverse set-ups Hi-Vo chains? I get the same thing on occasion from my wife's 89 Z24. It sounds like chain rattle when there is no load on the drive. Could even be spur gear noise when the load is minimal, if that is how GM got the power between the parallel crankshaft and transaxle.
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 493 | I am sure it is one of the above. I would start with the easy ones first. I love a Suzuki (Geo). I have an X-90 which is a Geo Tracker with a two seat, T-top body and is 4x4. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 | Kind of sounds like a spur gear or transaxle. I've noticed now that I've put several hundred miles on it that it's noisiest when being put into gear (any of them, but mostly 1st and 2nd) at low rpms then goes away when the engine picks up speed. Could just be a clutch problem.
You guys are great, thanks.
Dave
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | The Stovebolt pages have gone to a whole new level. A '92 Geo Metro in the driveline section of Stovebolt. Let's discuss Suburus, Hondas, Yugos and Volkswagons problems too. We can call this DIVERSITY.COM instead.  Might I suggest a bigger hammer? | | |
| |