I tried searching but could not find the info. How do you disassemble the glove box lock to repair the commonly broken latch? I do not have a key that will turn it and it is not locked. I do not care about ever being able to lock it, I just want to fix the latch. I have seen the tech tips and posts about the ignition lock but the glove box lock system appears quite different. Chuck
1953 Chevrolet 3600 Fried Green T'mater (Vern) In the Stovebolt Gallery Caution: Political Statement Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Thanks for the response. Most of the vendors sell the whole lock for about $30. A couple sell a repair kit for $4. The repair kit will fix my problem. I just need to figure out how to take the old lock apart. Chuck
My search has landed me here, on this 13+ year old thread, with the same question. I do not really want to buy a new lock. I have a donor lock with the parts needed. I am wondering if anyone has taken their glove box lock apart and how did they do it? Working on the 47 GMC
1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel 1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed 1948 GMC 1/2T short bed
You have to have a key in order to disassemble the lock. Here's the secret instructions.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Can a decent locksmith make a key for these locks if none exists?
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Can a decent locksmith make a key for these locks if none exists?
Probably, but it likely won't be cheap. They'd have to pick the lock to get it apart to see the key code stamped on the cylinder and then cut a key. If the lock came out of a known truck with a door lock, it SHOULD have the same key as the door. The key code on the door can be found by removing the lock. That involves pulling out a keeper that's under the weatherstrip. Another option is to send it to someone who has a collection of Briggs & Stratton pattern keys. I have about 150 different keys and was able to open the glove box lock from my truck.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thank you Kevin. Guitplayer, I just might take you up on that offer.
Here is the details and the plan. I have ignition, door and glove box lock out of my seemingly very original and low mileage 47 GMC p/u. No keys, but a strong feeling all locks will be keyed the same. Ignition lock turns 1 click without the key. This should get fixed when locksmith cleans it up (hoping, as they did this for a previous truck about 6 months ago). Glove box lock is locked and in perfect cosmetic condition except for a broken latch on the back. I have a donor lock that is from an unknown truck it is unlocked, has a good latch, but has a bent up bezel around the button. I was initially trying to find out if anyone has ever changed that bevel without buggering it up?
I think I may have a new plan. Have the locksmith cut a key for the door lock and see if it operates all the locks. If it does, have them take apart the ignition switch and clean it up. That key should also operate the glove box lock so I can take it apart, as per the above instructions, and install a latch repair kit.
If the one key does not work for all I will be regrouping. It might be cheapest to buy a repro lock for glove box and have it keyed to match ignition. Then again, as others have said, best to just leave glove box unlocked. If anybody wants what is in there all they need is a sharp box cutter from underneath. Lol.
I am guessing 8678 is my code? The locksmith can cut a key to that number? Any other ideas here?
Thanks, Rich
Last edited by Twin Jimmys; 09/22/20231:55 PM.
1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel 1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed 1948 GMC 1/2T short bed
A locksmith can definitely cut a key from that number. It'll be a B&S B10 or B11 key pattern.
Check this post and some of the links in there. If your locksmith doesn't know the cut depths, the info is there. But if your locksmith doesn't know, he shouldn't be in the business.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
You might get lucky with the door lock. It might match the ignition. But generally one key for the ignition and one for the door and glove. If the ignition is the goal. Remove it and have a key made for it. Rest is a gamble. It`ll have to be picked and the depression bar pushed at the same time. Which means a small hole drilled over that so pressure can be applied. Depression bar goes down once the lock is "picked" and the cylinder will turn.
I've done hundreds.
~ BD. "You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker 1958 Apache Stepside 1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel 1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Holy cats, you guys rule! Used the code from the door lock to get a key. Key works ignition, door and glove box. Now I can get a 6.00 latch repair kit to fix glove box. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love it when a plan comes together
1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel 1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed 1948 GMC 1/2T short bed
Good news. Thanks for closing the loop on your issue.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.