The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (cmayna, tclederman, 1 invisible), 121 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62322 06/28/2006 2:52 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
On my '50 3100, I'm installing a master cylinder and brake booster in the stock location and replacing the original transmission cross member with a tubular cross member from CPP.

Does anyone have pictures of this set up installed? The new x-member ends seem too square to fit properly in the original location. And it doesn't line up with any of the original holes. Same with the booster bracket. Is it supposed to line up with some of the original holes?

Does the x-member mount to the top or bottom of the frame rails?

Thanks in advance.
Red Green


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#62323 06/29/2006 2:15 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Come on. Can't anyone help me out with this new transmission x-member installation?! I can't be the first to install one of these...

I think I've got the brake booster figured out.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#62324 06/30/2006 10:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
ttt
Most of us can't afford the kit. grin


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#62325 06/30/2006 10:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I did the install but don't have pictures. Basically, the old MC comes out, the new bracket and MC/Booster go in. The lower diagonal support bolts to the lower frame rail. Mine actually lined up with a rivet head which I ground out and replaced with a grade 8 bolt after deciding not to skip that piece of reinforcement.

It was a very easy install, running new lines and bleeding the master and new calipers etc... was much more of a pain.

The problem I ran into was that the booster interferred with the clutch arm, or visa versa. So I converted to a hydraulic clutch set up and now everything is peachy, my calf never gets tired and the truck shifts like a honda or chevy.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
#62326 07/02/2006 10:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Fred T - that's funny because so far everyone else has been very good at spending my money on this project. And the part that I can't figure out only costs $59. All the other advice I've been getting is telling me to replace the whole driveline, just because the brake booster will fit better.

NM51 - Thanks for the input. I found some pictures on someone elses website and I think I have an idea of what you're describing. I think I've come to the conclusion that I have to wait until the engine goes back in so I can figure out the exact height and location of the new x-member.

Thanks again for the input.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#62327 07/03/2006 12:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
RedGreen-

I don't think you'll have a problem with the new brakebooster/master install. However, unless you've got an automatic I think you might need to find a new clutch arm, line the bent ones I've heard people talk about on this site.

When I got my kit from CPP they told me it was for trucks with automatics only and wouldn't work on manual 'cause of the clutch arm. Also, I'm not sure if it would have hit the rear tranny support since the SM420 and cross member were gone before I put the booster/master in.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
#62328 07/03/2006 8:28 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
I´m going to face the same problem with my 41 Sedan soon. The bracket is only for an automatic setup.

I was thinking about 3 ways arround.

1. Cut the front portion of the bracket and the od pedal arm off and attach the rear portion with the booster and MC to an stock MC. or...

2. Attach only the 2 pedal bushings of the original MC to the bracket or...

3. Fabricate and weld an scond bushing for the clutch pedal to the bracket

Have not decided yet wich way to go.

Frank

#62329 07/03/2006 1:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
Wow. I never thought a "conversion kit" for my vehicle would be so difficult to install in my vehicle.

So, the way I'm reading this, I need to go back to the original master cylinder and run the new disc brakes with no booster, or figure out how to rebuild the clutch arm?!

NM, how intensive was convert to a hydraulic clutch set up?

I've thought about the hdyroboost kit, but I don't have power steering so it would get very costly to install.

Hopefully I'll start installing some of it tonight so I can see where I stand and figure out what needs to be done.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#62330 07/03/2006 2:55 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
i agree w/ nm
the brake set up install was pretty straight forward. the kit uses the same frame holes that are already there. the pedal aligns w/ the brake arm.
you will need to make a new hole for filling the resovoire as the old rubber cover hole is mute now. you'll need to weld a tin cover and use a seam sealer both top and bottom.
the easiest way to open the new resovoire is by inserting a screwdriver on the side of each of the two retaining hoops and pry the side away from the hole.
can't help you w/ the tranny mt.
Ps redgreen
not all of us CAN afford to do what we want.


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
#62331 07/04/2006 2:51 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I made my own brackets and installed a booster and dual res master but it's on a 1 1/2 ton, there's no clearance problems. I'm still using the drum/drum set-up so I went with a 70 Chevy master designed for the drum/drum truck. It works very well.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
#62332 07/05/2006 1:59 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
OK, so last question (on this topic, at least).

Where do I learn about converting to a hydraulic clutch?

Thanks.
Red Green


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#62333 07/07/2006 2:16 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
RedGreen ... did you get it installed?

I also would like some info on the hydraulic clutch.

#62334 07/07/2006 12:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
chev235. I got the brake booster installed. I bought the booster and bracket from someone on this list who had already powder coated it. Because of this, I'll probably leave it like it is, but if it weren't I'd be cutting it apart and reworking it. It's pretty crooked.

But other than a couple of scraped knuckles, trying to fit nuts and bolts into tight spots where they don't belong, this part of the process went fairly smoothly. I still haven't tried to fit the cross member in yet. I have to get the engine and trans ready to reinstall before I'm ready for that.

http://community.webshots.com/user/RedGreen123


NM51... Can you expand on the hydraulic clutch conversion?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#62335 07/07/2006 1:33 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Hey Red Green,

I've been following your "problem" with the m/c cross member problem and am emailing you a couple suggestions and a picture. This may be the lesser of evils!

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#62336 07/10/2006 5:55 AM
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
My recent brake install went pretty well, but it took a fair amount of fabrication to accomplish. I have installed 4 wheel disc brakes on my 51 half ton.

The hardest part involved making a new bracket for the Lincoln Mark V disc/disc master cylinder I used (1 1/16" bore?). I saw the bracket kits advertised in the magasines but I didn't like the looks of the rod end they used to attach the existing brake pedal to the master cylinder pushrod. I ended up modifying the existing master cylinder bracket to allow the Lincoln m/c to be directly behind the brake pedal, just like the stock set-up. I then used a 6" grade eight bolt (with the head cut off) screwed into the existing clevis rod end as the pushrod.

My driver's side floorboard was rusted out, so I welded in new metal from the toeboard to the front of the seat frame. I have an extra battery door that I will cut in above the master cylinder which will allow me to check and service the brakes easily because there is no room to remove the master cylinder lid curently.

I am running 78 Lincoln Mark V disc brakes on the back and CCP's stock spindle disc brake kit on the front, which use 70-77 Camaro rotors and calipers. I am using the stock Lincoln proportioning valve. I ran all new brake lines and new flex hoses. I can say that even without a booster the brakes on my pickup are EXCELLENT. With a pedal ratio of around 10:1 I have more than enough mechanical atvantage to produce enough pressure to lock the wheels with moderate effort. Pushing the pedal halfway down in its travel will result in maximum stopping power.

When I get the battery door cut in I will try to post some pics.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0