The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, MRMEROTH11, JW51, Mike Burns, KEVINSKI), 110 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,396
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#612790 01/23/2010 11:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
I am just woundering what you old pros think of coating the whole inside and outside of the cab with por 15 just to make sure all the pin holes are sealed up along with all the nooks and crany's so they don't come back to haunt you afer the paint job is done. Thx:)

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...don't know about using in body work but it is some tuff stuff.
I know two guys locally that swear they only painted a gas tank with many pin holes in it and after the stuff dried they put the tank on and have driven it for years without any leaks. I suppose it would work with the body work if since you would sand everything off but whats in the pin holes?

I'm sure you'll get more educated input from body men.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I understand that POR-15 is an encapsulating paint,but would it not make more sense to deal with the pinholes,then overcoat with POR?
As far as painting the outside of the cab,i'm not sure how that would work with your final paint job.
Standard auto paint/lacquer would be air tight any way,so assuming you painted the inside with POR and then the outside with Auto paint,would that not have the same effect?


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I've used POR15 on the inside floor and underside of my cab and the underside of my fenders. It isn't really a good base for a top quality paint job. I only used it where rust is a serious problem and where it is out of sight. It is extremely hard to sand and it doesn't level as well as you think. I would recommend that you only use it in areas that are out of sight.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 117
Thx for the input on por 15 as far as the pinholes are concerned
I was only thinking of using the por 15 as somewhat of an insurance because even as carefull as I am trying to be with replaceing all the necessary metal I worried about that one little hole that got missed and will end up spoiling the paint job.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 91
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 91
Any place that I'm unsure of, or were I've welded in a patch. I use a product called all-metal on the inside and out before I do the final mudding.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0