Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
4 members (papas52, Shade Baby, 2 invisible),
91
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,340 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4 | My name is Jared, and I'm new to the website. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy a straight-from-the-barn '50 Chevy 3/4 ton 5 window (std forester green). I purchased it from the son of the original owner, and though re-titled to me, the good ol' state of IL sent me back the original title. My great-grandfather had one exactly like it so when I found it couldn't pass it up. I've been storing it while finishing up another project so haven't started the restore yet.
In the last week I came across a big bolt that had been enjoying life on another farm--and I couldn't resist. It's a '48 Chevy Loadmaster 2 ton truck with a hoist grain bed (it works). It was close to road ready (or so I thought) so I launched on the new adventure of driving it home. I did get about 20 miles before I decided to pull in to a local shop (with the needed ol' timer mechanic who was not only born before this truck was made but has driven them himself) to have a few things tweaked before I bring it home to the farm. The truck already has 6 new tires, 6V battery new in April '08, and new exhaust. The brakes though were a bit iffy, but they did stop the truck (just dove to the right a little). I think it's not getting enough fuel either.
I am very excited though about bringing her home--she's very original and pretty solid for a 60 yr old truck.
Last edited by J Lucas; 02/10/2009 2:23 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Welcome to the Stovebolt cranky48. Lots of guys on here with BIG BOLTS. I'm srue you will feel right at home. Glad to see the trucks being saved from the crushing monster. Enjoy your stay here and visit often. Best site on the web for old trucks. The VERY BEST. Nice folks with lots of Knowledge. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,417 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,417 | Welcome Jared, Bigbolts are always cool, and extra cool when they have a working dump bed.  With six new tires, wow!  Pinch yourself, you might be dreaming. John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4 | Hi Joe- Belleville. Hey neighbor! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Hi Jared...Welcome! Glad you could join us, Sounds like you've got some fun times ahead  Look forward to seeing some  Jock  1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I'd like to add my welcome, Jared. Those big bolts are cool, for sure. As Alvin says, this is the best site for info on these old trucks. Get familiar with the different topics and if there is something else you need, just ask. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 346 | Welcome to the Stovebolt, Jared.  You saved another one! Way to go. 
Terry K.
1951 5 window 1/2 ton
The only way to have a friend is to be one. -Ralph Waldo Emerson-
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 58 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 58 | Welcome to the bolt. Lots to learn here.
BTW, I used to live in Champaign. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 4 | Thanks everyone for the welcome! I have a lot of research to do, but I have the right shop manual and now the right website to start with! I'll figure out how to submit some photos this week. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Welcome Jared from another Illinois 'bolter with a 50 Chevy 3/4 ton.  Have fun with your trucks and be safe. 
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 32 | Heya Jared I am new here and also a new Bowtie owner. Welcome from a couple of counties east..... | | |
| |