The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Oswald, 2-Ton, 1955 1 Series, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 75 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,352
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
My name is Jared, and I'm new to the website. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to buy a straight-from-the-barn '50 Chevy 3/4 ton 5 window (std forester green). I purchased it from the son of the original owner, and though re-titled to me, the good ol' state of IL sent me back the original title. My great-grandfather had one exactly like it so when I found it couldn't pass it up. I've been storing it while finishing up another project so haven't started the restore yet.

In the last week I came across a big bolt that had been enjoying life on another farm--and I couldn't resist. It's a '48 Chevy Loadmaster 2 ton truck with a hoist grain bed (it works). It was close to road ready (or so I thought) so I launched on the new adventure of driving it home. I did get about 20 miles before I decided to pull in to a local shop (with the needed ol' timer mechanic who was not only born before this truck was made but has driven them himself) to have a few things tweaked before I bring it home to the farm. The truck already has 6 new tires, 6V battery new in April '08, and new exhaust. The brakes though were a bit iffy, but they did stop the truck (just dove to the right a little). I think it's not getting enough fuel either.

I am very excited though about bringing her home--she's very original and pretty solid for a 60 yr old truck.

Last edited by J Lucas; 02/10/2009 2:23 AM.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Welcome to the Stovebolt cranky48. Lots of guys on here with BIG BOLTS. I'm srue you will feel right at home. Glad to see the trucks being saved from the crushing monster.
Enjoy your stay here and visit often. Best site on the web for old trucks. The VERY BEST. Nice folks with lots of Knowledge.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,417
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,417
Welcome Jared,

Bigbolts are always cool, and extra cool when they have a working dump bed. thumbs_up With six new tires, wow! dance Pinch yourself, you might be dreaming. grin

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Hi Joe-
Belleville. Hey neighbor!

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi Jared...Welcome! Glad you could join us,

Sounds like you've got some fun times ahead grin

Look forward to seeing some pix

Jock thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
I'd like to add my welcome, Jared. Those big bolts are cool, for sure. As Alvin says, this is the best site for info on these old trucks. Get familiar with the different topics and if there is something else you need, just ask.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 346
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 346
Welcome to the Stovebolt, Jared. wave You saved another one! Way to go. thumbs_up


Terry K.

1951 5 window 1/2 ton

The only way to have a friend is to be one.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 58
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 58
Welcome to the bolt. Lots to learn here.

BTW, I used to live in Champaign.


1959 Apache 3200
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I have a lot of research to do, but I have the right shop manual and now the right website to start with! I'll figure out how to submit some photos this week.

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Welcome Jared from another Illinois 'bolter with a 50 Chevy 3/4 ton. wave Have fun with your trucks and be safe. smile


Professional Novice
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 32
Heya Jared I am new here and also a new Bowtie owner. Welcome from a couple of counties east.....


1966 Chevy C10
The Pumpkin Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics
Just wait 'til I'm done!
[

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0