The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
After 2 years of searching I finally found "Big Yellow" in Arkansas. She certainly didn't look as good then as now. She was originally purchased by a veterinarian who was just starting out his practise in Oklahoma. He needed something for both work & pleasure, so he was told to order the "Deluxe" package, which he did. Fast forward 45 years or so & she was owned by another vet, this time in Arkansas. This is where my story begins. After explaining to the owner that I wanted to restore the old truck & not hot-rod it, she became mine!! It was a week long road trip to pick her up & trailer her home. The restoration work started almost immediatly. Over the first winter, I completely dismantled her, spending hours scrapping old tar rustproofing from every body panel. Then, by spring everything was sandblasted & primed. Over the first summer, I located most of the parts that I thought would be needed for the rebuild. The second winter was spent reworking the body panels. I had to replace both cab corners, the box front panel & tailgate. Other than that, everything is original. One of the hardest parts of the restoration was the refurbishing of the chrome "spears" on the box sides. I have come to the conclusion that there are probably not too many Fleetsides out there with them. They were in pretty tough shape but I found a terrific guy in Florida who worked magic on them. The second summer was spent re-assembling, adjusting & readjusting. By fall of last year, she was ready to roll. I've since drove about 2000 miles on her this summer. Every minute of work was worth it!! She makes me feel 16 & back on the farm again, which is why I was so specific about what I wanted. The only non-original things about her are the motor. There was a Chevy 256 - V8 which I swapped for a 235. I also installed disc brakes in front for extra stopping power. Everything works, including the original AM radio! What a Gas!! 1958 GMC Fleetside 100 Deluxe, 3Spd Column Shift, Dana "45" H.D. Diff - "Big Yellow".

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/11/2025 12:37 AM. Reason: fix title
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 31

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,409
Very Nice thumbs_up thumbs_up thumbs_up

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Beautiful!!

Welcome to the Bolt!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 31
Thanks Rich, It was truly a labor of love.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
You have done a beautiful job!!! thumbs_up


Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!

"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"

1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
That looks great!

Let me ask a general question about the box trim to feed my ignorance. It is my understanding that on "Chevrolets" the box trim was only availble on 1959 models. Was that trim option available on both 1958 and 1959 GMC Fleetside?


Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
I hope mine turns out as clean. Very nice truck!

Q
quirt111
Unregistered
quirt111
Unregistered
Q
That is a beautuful truck!


Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0