The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, Bill Hanlon, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,483
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
Before I cut my 1949 9 foot bed in great shape down to the length I need (little over 7 feet), should I save it for someone else? I know these aren't reproduced like the regular long and short bedsides are, so I wanted to check with the experts...so I don't regret it later. I'm not sure how common these are, or how much of a need there is for beds in great shape. Let me know what you guys think.


1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Don't cut it! There are at least two stovebolters looking for one. I know of a salvage yard in my area that has lots of good longbed sides that could be used instead. PM me


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Jeese! These aren't that easy to find for the people that want them. There is gobs of regular beds out there. I'm in Sioux Falls, SD. I won't trade, but I have a bed I'll sell.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
No!, please don't.

I've got a very nice bed I'll trade, but I'm afraid it's only a 1/2 ton, can measure if interested.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
see what you started already!


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
Wow, I do see what I've started!!! This is why I asked before I cut!

I suppose I shouldn't cut the running boards or side aprons either then huh guys?

I do need to read the forum rules before I do anything with this bed, but what I want to end up with is a bed that's around 7' 2" long or so. I think that means I need to get a long bed and trim it slightly...short bed is too short.

Thanks for the words of wisdom so far, and keep them coming.


1949 Chevy 3800
Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Why a 7'2" bed??????

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
Hope I don't get flamed for this...

I'm building myself a truck for a daily driver and for hauling duties for my home projects. I'm tired of driving newer vehicles so I wanted something old with character. I'm using an extended cab s10 chassis and driveline, and the AD truck body.


1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
No Flamers here Blue. others have done it too and it's your truck.
Heck check out what I did to mine, nobody badmouthed me in public over it.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Heck stretch the frame to fit the bed, I added something like 37inch to my S10 frame that I have under my 1ton bus...Joe

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
I could, but I don't need that much bed space...

My two options are really cut it down to the size I want, or sell it to someone that NEEDS it long, and source another one to fit my needs.


1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
I wouldn't cut it. I just parted out a '54 with a 9' bed. I sold the bed alone for $600.

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by ZooKeeper
Heck stretch the frame to fit the bed..
Or shorten the frame to fit a 1/2 ton bed... Then I'll trade you a 1/2 ton bed for a 9' one wink

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
But I want to be different than all the short bed guys! smile

Chris


1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by BlueJeep
But I want to be different than all the short bed guys! smile

Chris

Then keep the 9' bed ohwell
They are much more useful, after having one don't think I could ever settle for the 1/2 ton, or even the 3/4 ton bed..

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Originally Posted by BlueJeep
But I want to be different than all the short bed guys! smile

Chris

You see 6'/8' bed all the time BUT how many times have you seen a 9' bed, personally a hand full, maybe...Joe

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I think i would trade it for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton bed if you don't like the 9 foot bed .Trade the running boards and aprons for what you need.
just my thoughts !!


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
DONT CUT IT !!! Cletis... set him straight wink


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
As soon as I get my Kansas City pics resized I'll post a link to a picture of a beautiful AD 1-ton done by a high schooler who is a member of the KC club.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Hey cletis,is this the truck ?
1 Ton AD


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
That's the one.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'm slow to this party, but I agree with those who say don't cut it. If it were a '54/'55 1st I'd be one of those willing to swap a 1/2-ton bed for it, or a 3/4-ton bed except I don't have one of those...

I'll grant not a lot of people want the 9-foot bed, but there are more of us than 9-foot beds available, so you won't have any trouble selling it or swapping it to get something closer to your needs.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Blue Jeep, Yes, Save the running boards and side aprons! The Running boards would need to be BOTH shortened AND the width reduced.LOTS of work and the boards are hard to find-- someone here will want them so put them in the Parts for Sale section.
Good luck with your truck-- Joe's suggestion sounds good-- stretch the frame and use the long bed!
Glenn

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I hope there has been enough outcry for Blue Jeep not to cut 9' stuff that he will go out and find a short bed. It is such a shame to cut something that is so rare when what he is attempting to accomplished can be quite easily found.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
OK guys, I'm not going to cut the bed. I wanted to do my research before I did anything...so I guess I know. I'll get some detailed pictures of the bed and post them up here and see who needs it. Thanks for all the opinions and points of view!

And a short bed won't work for me...so a long bed is what I'll need.

Last edited by BlueJeep; 09/18/2009 2:33 AM.

1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by BlueJeep
...And a short bed won't work for me...so a long bed is what I'll need.
Medium? (not 6' or 9')
Glad to hear you'll leave the 9' stuff alone and find a good home for them.
That's to bad on the length though, I'd love to trade the good short bed I have in for a long one.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
Yeah, sorry. Should have been more specific....medium.


1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
I was looking at my local sheetmetal guy to build me a bed. The price was much less than a new one from Mark K. My suggestion would be to sell the bed to Grigg and have the bed build that you need.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 24
I ended up getting a medium (3/4 ton) bed and cutting 2.375" from the front of it. It worked really well and achieved what I wanted...a 7' 1" long bed.


1949 Chevy 3800
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Did the 9' bed find a new home?


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
He's got an ad in the swap meet section under parts for sale.


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0