The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (J Lucas, Eileen, Mike'sPlace), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
I did not see a suspension specific posting spot on here so I hope this is in the correct section. I am looking to change out the 6 lug front spindles that I have on my '53 1/2 ton truck with something that is a 5 on 5 3/4 pattern without redrilling anything or swapping out front ends. I know the ride quality is going to suffer, but funds are tight and I just want to run matching wheels. Is there any vehicle that has the desired bolt pattern that will unbolt from the donor vehicle and bolt up to the stock axle? Thanks for dealing with my request.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
You will need hubs from a passenger car. I think 1949 - 1954

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by 5/8 ton
something that is a 5 on 5 3/4 pattern
Did you mean 5 x 4-3/4, which is the common 5-lug Chevy car pattern. The other 5-lug chevy pattern is 5 x 5. I'm ignoring the more recent metric patterns...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
Yeah sorry 5 on 4 3/4

I have some foresight venture indy 500's hanging on the wall in my garage. They need to be on the road again

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
How about switching out the complete axle from a '60's chevy van?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The Chevy passenger car stuff Lonnie suggested, or a disk brake conversion are the options I'd consider. No real impact on ride, and the disk conversion should improve your brakes.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
Van axle that I measured is 5" longer. Not the look I am going for. I was previously told about the car, I forgot.

NOW........ anyone got leads to everything I am looking for? I don't want disc brakes. Do I need spindles and drums from the passanger car?

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
I thought it over and now understand what you are talking about. Front hub and drums will be neccessary to swap out to change the bolt pattern. Not the spindles.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Hubs and drums, not spindles.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
I have been told that the '52 and earlier have the "huck" brakes which are not as easy to locate as the later '53 and up "bendix" parts. So I now have narrowed down the amount of donor vehicles.

Last edited by 5/8 ton; 08/19/2009 7:55 AM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 187
Just take your hubs and drums to a good machine shop and have them redrilled to fit.


_____________
Floyd

If we choose being kind over being right,we will
be right every time.
Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience.
Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it
is precious nonetheless.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 163
thats last resort. i kind of dont like that idea too much

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I'm not totally sure but isn't all 52's Bendix brakes? I thought they changed somewhere in 51 to all Bendix. Someone will let us know for sure. One can never have to much info! Oh, my 52 panel had Bendix on it.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
All 51 up 1/2 tons had Bendix brakes. 3/4 ton truck had them from 53 up.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Why not keep the 6 bolts??I did and found disc conversions everywhere and a very nice selection of wheels available.
I stayed and am very satisfied.

Last edited by gazim; 08/24/2009 9:29 PM.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0