The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shade Baby, Pete1946, frogfarmer, baldeagle, 1955 1 Series, Jon G, 1 invisible), 97 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
I had a '57 Chevy truck years ago that was frnkly, pretty badly rusted. I lost it in my divorce of 10 years ago and only now am getting back to old trucks after a lot of years buying/rebuilding old Porsches.

I bought a '46 short bed, half ton that is stock appearing but has a 350/350 combo, independent front suspension with power rack and pinion and power brakes, Jaguar fully independent rearend; of course with discs, and old fashioned steelies with beauty rings and later simple dog dish small hubcaps. The truck doesn't APPEAR to have any cancer (you know how that goes) and whoever built it to this point spent a lot of money on it. The engine starts and runs excellent, no smoke. Its got a non-stock cam of some type (a bit loppity-lope), Edelbrock Elite tall valve covers (roller rockers in there?), chrome or billet alternator, spark plug guides, fuel pump, oil dipstick, air cleaner.

Picked it up Friday night and today I spent a bunch buying all sorts of parts from Jim Carter Truck Parts. Rubber, blue dot tail lights and brackets, etc. Having the truck profesionally rewired next week so it will be safe and reliable above all. Please feel free to post any/all advice regarding '41-'46 trucks. I can use all the help and advice I can get.

I apologize for no picture yet. I only have one crappy cell phone camera picture and since I'm not familiar with this site, I couldn't figure out how to post it. Better pictures coming soon.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08/12/2009 6:25 AM.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Hi Dan, Welcome!

Sounds like your well on the way with this one! I'll bet she rides real nice with that suspension combo it it.
Just ask your questions/queries in the relevant sections and the guys/gals will chime in!
We are all looking forward to seeing the pics when you get them!

Good luck
Jock thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Welcome Dan! You waited 10 years to have fun with old trucks again, I guess we can wait a few weeks to see your picture. If you can text on your phone, just send it to your email address and once you get it in the computer,you should have no trouble finding a host like WEBSHOTS or something like that and than posting the link. Good luck! cool

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Dan, had a 46 back in '86 and wish I had not sold it! I learned to drive in a 46 on my grandfathers farm.

Yep, I know about the d i v o r c e thing. I had to "buy" half of my 37 from her so I could keep it. I think I got the better deal smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Thanks for the comments guys.

Since I posted this thread I have found out thaty i cant post pictures on this site directly. Apparently all photos have to be posted to a third party site and a link embedded here? Yes, I understand the reason but i also know that I belong to two other automotive websites; one for old trucks like this one and one for sportscars and both allow direct posting of pictures. Neither is a pay site either.

To me, that makes this site less useable even though it has the content I am most interested in andguys that likely have a wealth of experience I'd like todraw from.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
I think a few rotten apples have spoiled it for the rest of the bunch. To remain a family/work friendly site, the choice was made to exclude direct posting of pictures in the forums for various reasons. This includes avatars as well. Avatars are only granted to site moderators and certain helpers, and some of them choose not to use an avatar at all. On the up-side: this site can be viewed by folks from 8 to 80 without the fear of 'surprises'(both pictures and language) found elsewhere on the internet.


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Well, I suppose pictures of questionable taste does make some sense as to why pictures aren't allowed. I've certainly seen that happen on other sites. But it oscar from anything but a very small issue. The moderators typically catch anything questionable pretty fast.

Whatever the real reasons, I think I'll end up being more of a lurker here than active contributor because of the picture policy. I would love to come here and easily see photos of what guys are talking about.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Posting is aloud, just not the big pictures that takes forever to down load if you have dial up or a slow computer.A link is just as easy to see with just a click of the mouse. You maybe don't pay for those other sites, but they have advertisers that do. Someone has to pay. Just learn to post a link, we would love to see your new truck. Send me a couple of your pictures and I will post them for you. We will make it as easy as possible here. Send your pictures to [email protected] By the way, I love those trucks with the juke box look. We had a 45 and I sure miss it. dang

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
I agree that not being able to see the truck makes it not very interesting at all.

I'll take you up on your offer and send you a few shots. Thanks for the offer.

By the way, Craigslist rocks. I found a brand new-in-the-box Edelbrock Elite air cleaner (which matches my truck's valve covers) including the filter element for only $25! I think its on Summit for $60ish.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738
Joy Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 738

From Dan's email......

"The engine and Jag rearend shots were taken before I pressure washed them. They look better now..well, at least cleaner!"

Dan's 46

Dan's rearend

Engine

another view of the 46

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Thanks Joy!

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Nice looking truck!! I like 46's!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Thanks Rich. To me, it seems like a heck of a good starting point. I plan to track most of the changes I make to it with photo's....if I ever figure out how to use third party photo hosts!

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 15
Dan, just go to photobucket.com and register, create an album and upload your pics to the album. Once you have the album loaded with pics, just cut and paste the link in your next post on this forum. It's pretty simple once you do it a few times. I hope this helps or maybe another member can explain it better. Good luck and I look forward to seeing more pics as you go.


Gary Sterner 53 1/2 T Panel
Hold On Tight To Your Dreams ELO
Ya can't make it idiot proof,
they keep finding smarter idiots.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Thanks Gary. I WILL do that.


Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0