Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (51sub),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 | Help! I'm in Seattle on vacation and have noticed the steering wheel can move in a circular motion within the steering column. It doesn't move up and down but I suspect that a collar has bust. The nut on the end of the steering column is solidly on and it does not move up and down, only has play in a circular motion.
I have some tools with me but not sure what is required to repair this and not sure where to get replacement parts. I haven't taken the steering wheel off myself so not sure what could be the problem but my biggest concern is driving home to Vancouver on the I-5 with the vintage Shasta trailer and a disaster happens. Any advice/suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. I have a few days before I need to return. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 | I have a "58 and replaced the steering box and column. They are sold as one unit,but there is a rebuild kit just for the steering box.Problem is no one wants the liability of rebuilding it.So you need to order the box and column and have it installed.I don't think there is a patch to get you home safely ? You may be able to have a mechanic look at it and see what he thinks ? Good luck. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Are you saying the steering shaft wobbles in the outer column? There is a bearing at the top of the shaft that may have fallen apart. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Sounds like the steering shaft bearing is worn. How much movement is there? Did this happen suddenly, or over time? If it is that bearing, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience.  Jeff | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I don't understand either. Does the steering wheel turn around without moving the pitman arm? (The pitman arm is the arm from the steering box shaft that connects to the steering linkage).Visable under the left front fender. If that is the case you will need to rebuild or replace the steering gear. You will need more then just a few tools to do it under a shade tree. You need a puller to remove the pitman arm. You should use a puller to remove the steering gear but it can be done without. The truck has to be up pretty high to get the gear out the bottom. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Cletis nailed it, you have a disintegrated upper mast bearing, the one with the horn wirre on it, any of the venbdors have them, but you should be able to carry on and get home without any disasters
Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I'm on Bainbridge Island, and off work just playing in my shop this week. If you want to experience the ferry and come over I'll give you directions and either a cup of coffee or a cold beer while we take it apart and make sure we know what's going on. I'm less than 10 minutes off the ferry on this end. I'm mostly around through Friday, but will be gone over the weekend. Email me at [email protected]. If I'm awake I rarely go more than a couple hours without checking email. Just make sure to say OldBlue58 in the subject so I don't think you are spam!
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 | Thanks everyone! I'm able to drive around and went to the arboretum today but I have lost the ability to signal right. There has been a bit of problems over the past month or so but it didn't interrupt my driving and I drive every day. Then, once I got here, the steering wheel got wobbly.
Where in Seattle can I buy a replacement upper mast bearing? I've got limited net while visiting but I can easily pop over to Bainbridge and learn how to do this right. I typically have my manual so I'm feelin' a bit lost right now. If the steering wheel was wobbly up and down, I'd have stopped driving it. The bearing makes sense as it seems to have lost being centred.
OldSub, I'll fire off an email to you. Thanks everyone! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | I hope you got to visit the far end of the arboretum and checked out some of the cool New Zealand and South American shrubs and trees. Theyve got a neat selection of stuff hidden in there if you know what to look for.
Steve ought to give you the tour and drag you over here if you can find the time.
Ill peak through a few books and see if I can come up with a part number to see if anyone has one locally, but I kinda doubt it.
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Your looking for part # 5672192, upper mast bearing w/horn wire. No luck finding a local supplier. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Take OldSub up on his offer, it's worth going over to Bainbridge anyway, its beautiful. Seattle is a great city, lived there for 9 years. I have an entire 58 steering box with shaft, but that doesn't do much for you when its here in Florida! You should be able to order that upper bearing and have it shipped overnight.
Good luck! Michael | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I have books for an Advance Design truck but not Task Force.
Can someone let me know how similar the steering columns are? Will we be able to reference my older books if we need documentation?
I'm asuming this is straight-forward pull the wheel and see the problem if its the same as my AD trucks. Could it be the same bushing?
Jeff could you check your books? Maybe I have a servicable used one that will get Mike home more comfortably.
My first project this week was taking the tilt-tele column apart on my Corvette because it has become floppy and the left turn signal quit working. This has got to be simple by comparison!
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Thanks George!
Looks like I'll be fabbing a bearing puller if we find a replacement bearing...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | shouldn't really need a puller Steve, those usually come out pretty easy just tapping around the flange with a flat screwdriver or such, especially if it doesn't need to be saved  isn't Filling Staion in Oregon? they're great folks, would prolly get one on a courier today Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Steve its different then the earlier models. Specific to Chevrolet trucks 58-59 all, 60-62 D-D (exc. 102 WB). Even GMC had a different part number for that style which was part # 5672191. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Mike called and said no luck on the part after calling about 30 places.
I did a quick online check of two vendors I know are in the region and didn't find it at either of them.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | this can't be that scarce, fits many years, Filling Station lists them for 39-63!!! search 'steering mast bearing' Bill | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Yeah I looked at Filling Station and their listing showed a number of differing models over that time period, but not Mike's specific application.
Filling Station is down around Salem, so maybe four hours each way from here?
If Mike wants to chase it my shop is open through Friday.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 | Hi everyone. I am very appreciative of everyone's help. I kinda gave up and did my "therapy" at the arboretum. I was looking forward to the trip to Bainbridge Island! I called every possible place in the phonebook and asked for leads...but it was a no-go. It sounds like I shouldn't be too worried about my trip home if I take it easy. Atleast this isn't something that took me off the road completely. Considering I drive the truck every day it's just the luck it'd go while on vacation. I'll be ordering the part when I get home and, again, thank you everyone and OldSub for the wonderful help. The Arboretum was great as usual and I'll be adding my images in a while. If it interests you, here's the Washington Park Arboretum set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/growin/sets/72157605172853751/I also did the U of W greenhouse & herb garden. Kept my mind focused on something other than my truck issue. It's always good to take a step back and let it set in before tackling the repair. Y'all are the best! Mike | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 |
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 183 | Much to my amazement, KMS Tools/Car Parts had the part in stock. Wahoo.
The drive home from Seattle was a nightmare with strong cross-winds, heavy traffic and most of the I-5 grooved. I now understand what "trailer sway" really means.
I appreciate the links to the replacement procedures. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 707 | Hey, Mike. Where you been? 1951 3800 Be the change you want to see. -hotshoe
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 | Glad to hear you made it home safe.
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."
1957 GMC 150
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Good to hear you made it home safely!
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |