The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dennys28, Oswald, Shade Baby), 110 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#533986 05/01/2009 5:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
I saw this truck sitting in a field on the side of the highway with a “For Sale” sign in the window. I stopped and looked it over and bought the truck for $1000. The seller also gave me a 5 window cab, another bed box, and a few extra fenders and such. This happened in April 2003 and when the wife and kids saw the truck they named it “Project 51”.
I torn the truck down to the frame and cleaned everything possible, I wasn’t sure at this point what the entire plan was for the truck except that it wasn’t going to be a trailer queen.
I’m a retired Navy Seabee and our motto is “Can Do”, I have learned from my father and my experience in the Seabee’s that you can do about anything with the right attitude. So the project was really just about time and money. Time was something I had some of; money was something I was going to have to scrimp and save for to do this project with. As I got a little money together, I did a little on the truck.
I rebuilt the suspension with new tapered front wheel bearings, new drum brake setup all around, a dual master cylinder, and riding on Dotech shocks. The engine, a 1962 235 back with the SM420 tranny, was completely disassembled and bored out .40 over, new valves installed in the heads, a little stiffer cam and springs and then topped off with the Offenhauser 2x1 intake with 2 Holey/Weber 2bbl carbs and a Fenton header system feeding into 2 Smithy mufflers, sounds like the 50’s. Fire is provided by a reworked distributor with a Pertronixs kit and the whole truck was converted to 12 volts.
I have dabbled with some body work in the past but this was a new experience for me. I cut out a lot of rust and welded in new sheet metal panels that I formed with a hammer and dolly, shaved the drip rails on the roof, beat out a lot of dents and welded up some stress cracks. I used fiberglass to smooth out the firewall and then primed and painted the truck using epoxy primmer and single stage urethane from Eastwood Co, the color is “Burnout Blue Metallic”. This was my first time painting so between reading articles on this site, watching Gearz, Trucks and the other Powerblock shows. I was ready to go, and all in all I think it turned out OK.
In December 2008, a friend asked me to bring the 90% done truck to a “Toys for Tots” car show, and to my amazement I won a 1st place trophy in the under construction category.
It has taken me 6 years to finish this truck, and the only thing I didn’t do on it is the machine work on the engine, I assembled it, and the upholstery on the seats. Also I did this in my 2 stall garage. My daughter, Kim, who when she first saw the truck 6 years ago in the driveway was mortified and embarrassed, my wife, Jan, thought the truck was ugly and could not believe what I got myself into, but both love the truck and think is it wonderful. Jan enjoys telling others about “Project 51” and showing them pictures of the truck. When someone comes over, she has to take them out to the garage to show them the truck.
I love the feel of driving an old truck and have a real felling of accomplishment in doing it myself. I think everyone should get a project and get their hands dirt so they can feel as good as I do when I drive my truck.

Thanks for such a great site and all the help.
Mike

Please view my pictures at snapfish.com
http://project51.snapfish.com/snapfish/otsc=SYE/otsi=WCR

Last edited by Project-51; 06/06/2009 4:35 AM. Reason: restore link
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Mike, this is a great story and one that needs telling over and over. Its an inspiration to all who love old iron and the will to try. I can only imagine how big your chest must be as you ride down the road. You can now stand in the circle with the best of them...and have a beautiful truck as a testimony to your story!

Welcome to the bolt. I'm sure you have much to contribute to others. See ya around the garage.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
Liked the story...the attitude, color. Good work, good job. Thanks for posting.
tom


1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
i like the color too. i considered a blue for my project, but decided to go green just so I could make the green joke to the ricers.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Great story Mike....You should be real proud of your achievement.
An inspiration to us all!
Nice job.
Jock. thumbs_up


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Have had a great time with my wife and friends going to car shows in the area. Out of the 3 - I have attended since completing the truck I have won 2 first place trophies. What a feeling to know people like what you do.

If you can - do it - you won't regret it and if you have kids get them involved too, they will appreciate it and you'll have a great time bonding with them.


1951 Chevy 5-Window

"No lesson in life is too expensive if you keep the receipt."

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0