The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MNSmith, Peggy M, wilbur53, 5 Window 9434), 108 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
Okay, I have an electrical mess on my truck thanks to PO's hacking away at wiring. So yesterday I was starting to straighten it all out and I ran into this issue. I found this harness hooked to these relays on the firewall. Thing is, the wires are all cut and were not going anywhere. I looked at a wiring diagram but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be for. So, what are they for and where is this harness supposed to coming from? Oh, on a side note, everything on the truck works, all lights, radio, everything. Anyway, any help on this will be appreciated. Here's the pics:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/Bear43/1971%20C10/June06003.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/Bear43/1971%20C10/June06004.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/Bear43/1971%20C10/June06005.jpg


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 121
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 121
Looks like factory wire harnesses going to the relays. Did GM offer a factory trailer wiring harness in 71?


Dave
66 GMC- father /son project with the "GMC KID"
36 Chevy PU- 4x4 lifetime project
64 Skylark- wife says its hers
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
I agree that it all looks to be factory, from the relays to the harness. I have no idea if GM offered factory trailer harnesses back then, but about anything is possible I suppose. The harness was running down the firewall and was tucked in between the cab and inner fender, but I have no idea if that was where it was supposed to run or not. It's all a huge mystery to me.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The one on the left looking at the photo is the horn relay. The other might be a circuit breaker for something optional or added on.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Wiper and horn relays,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
On '71's the horn relay is in the cab, close to the fuse box. I have also been told that these relays and harnesses are for the original Transmission Spark Control emissions stuff. Beats me, but I know all the other emissions stuff is missing or unhooked, so that may be it for all I know.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Bear,

I don't know nuttin about much but I don't think your horn relay would be inside the cab. This sort of defeats the whole purpose of that item, near as I can tell.

I haven't heard of a 'Transmission Spark Control' on a '71 pickup either, but I have been OTL before. smile

Stuart

Last edited by atomarc; 06/08/2009 5:58 PM.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I believe Bear is right. I know they did start putting the horn relay inside the cab somewhere in that era. It just hangs on the wires by the fuse block. They did have some type of TSC in the early years of emission controls. The connectors on that one unit look like horn relay connectors.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 321
I have to correct myself, it's TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) instead of TSC. I was close...lol... Anyway, it's been tough to find info on that system. All I know at this point is that it kept the distributor from advancing until the tranny was in high gear and the engine was warmed up. It reduced emissions very slightly but also increased fuel consumption considerably. I have yet to see any pics of the system completely hooked up, or even a diagram for that matter.

I do wonder, though, if one of those relays is an anti-dieseling relay. I have seen a single pic of that and it looks similar to the one on the left side, like a horn relay. It's tough to tell what this truck was originally equiped with since the original carb is gone. I did think it was the horn relay as well, until I found that the horn relay is in the cab. I'm doing a lot of learning with this '71.


1963 Chevy C20 Longbed Stepside
1978 Chevy K30 Custom Deluxe
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Get a book!


~Jim

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0