The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (mick53, 2-Ton, stlcardinalsguy, Wally / Montana, Steelonsteel, Uncles51), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,462
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54426 01/04/2006 2:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
Well I finally upgraded my rear end. grin I now have an open driveline. I removed the old torque tube differential and kept the rearend housing. I installed a pumpkin from a '55 half ton (fit right in perfect). I also changed the tranny to another sm420 that has an open rear yoke. Really came out nice! grin I posted a bunch of pictures of the whole process on my Yahoo Photo Album . It's in the "rearend swap" file. I haven't been able to go for a longer cruise 'cause it won't stop raining. This opens up possibilities later on if and when I switch to a later model 6 cyl. motor.

#54427 01/04/2006 3:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
John,

Awesome job Man!

It looks like it really turned out very well.

Also, nice photo album with great documentation of what you did to make it all happen.

I am assuming you were running 4:10 gears before the rear end swap? If so you will have to let me know if you really can feel a difference between the 4:10's and the 3:90's.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
#54428 01/04/2006 4:19 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 15
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 15
congrats!! I've been wondering if it's possible to just keep the 54 axle housing in place and replace the pumpkin and axles from a spare open driveline axle that just seems to have bolts in all the same places and same measurement here and there....and you did it first!!


now...where did that part go??
#54429 01/04/2006 9:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Nice job John, now you'll be able to get around town a little faster. Great to know you can just change out the pumpkin to retain the stock axle width. Great pictures.

George

#54430 01/04/2006 11:04 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 481
Nice photo documentation. I appreciate you sharing that information John. Looks like your son is a fine welder.

#54431 01/04/2006 11:27 PM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
very nice, man,, I wish I had just a little of the talent you guys have.............Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#54432 01/05/2006 3:00 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
Thanks alot guys. The weather finally cleared up so I went around the block a few more times this evening. Even though it's only a 3.90 rear end (the other was a 4.11), I can really tell a difference in speed. The tranny is way quieter too. My next step is to take it out on the main thoroughfare. I want to get it to top speed and see what she'll do....but I got to build alittle more confidence.

#54433 01/05/2006 3:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 235
Terrific job John. Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers mate

Bob

#54434 01/05/2006 5:27 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Let me ask you guys a question. :confused:

I have a 54 sedan closed drive line rear end under my 37 1/2 ton truck. I also have a 55 car rear end in my possession. Will a 55 car rear end pumpkin fit into a 54 car housing? Well, that's not really a truck question I guess, but does anyone know or know anyone who knows?

It sure would make things easier for me as I work toward that T-5 installation, which, of course, requires an open drive line. wink

Thanks,
Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
#54435 01/07/2006 3:54 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Excellent job! Pictures are worth a thousand words they say and this is a perfect example. One question about removing the spring perches from the 55 axle. Can I do it with a grinder or does it need a cutting torch?
Thanks.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
#54436 01/07/2006 4:08 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
John,

Wonderful pictorial..why did you R&R the perches. Did I miss something?


Stuart

#54437 01/08/2006 4:25 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
oldblu40 - To remove the spring perches, I used an electric angle grinder with a 1/8" thick abrasive wheel. Carefully cut throught the weld and it'll pop right off.

automarc - The torque tube directly ties the rearend to the transmission. It is the only thing that keeps the whole rearend housing from rotating backwards when you step on the gas. So you remove the torque tube, the welded on spring perches keeps the rearend housing in one position.

#54438 01/08/2006 3:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Nice job is right on! I did the same to my '49 torque tube to '57 3.90 open drive line conversion. I use a '62 3 sp+od, .70 od x 3.90 = 2.73 final drive in od, around 2100 rpms at 65 or so.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


#54439 01/08/2006 4:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 399
I'm looking at a truck with a 55 235, 4spd Saginaw, and a 55 Chev car rearend..
Does anyone know what the gears in that rearend might be?
Thanks, Shoop

#54440 01/10/2006 3:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I heard sometime ago, that a 1966 3/4 pumpkin will fit these old rearend housings. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks,Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
#54441 01/11/2006 10:40 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
is the rear end housing the same on a 37 as it is on a 45??? I sure would like to know. I need to put a open line in a 37. Thanks for any info as if this is do-able to.....and ole Joe ask if the 55 open would fit into his 54 sedan closed rear end?? Now there is TWO questions, anyone one know?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#54442 01/15/2006 6:56 PM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 15
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 15
nice job!! why isn't the original spring setup suitable for open driveline?? would you elaborate?? I will eventually try the same project but I was going to leave the stock axle housing in place. thanks


now...where did that part go??
#54443 01/15/2006 9:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Quote
Originally posted by bowtietim:
I heard sometime ago, that a 1966 3/4 pumpkin will fit these old rearend housings. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks,Tim
Tim, that works for 3/4 and 1-ton trucks after '47. The Eaton H0xx axle was used until '72, '67-'72 trucks had a much more highway friendly 4.10 gear ratio available.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#54444 01/18/2006 4:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Thanks for the info.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
#54445 01/22/2006 3:51 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 210
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 210
You used a '55. What years will work. I will be working on a 46 burb. Would like to have the info before I go to the junkyards.
Thanks
Jim

#54446 01/22/2006 3:53 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 210
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 210
By the way, I learned a ton just looking at the picts!!!
Jim


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0