The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Robert Crandall, J Lucas, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
I have checked with Autozone, Napa, Fisher, Monroe, RockAuto, Jim Carter, LMC, and others. Am I missing something here? Everybody seems to have shocks for the '67 and older trucks, just not mine! Looking for shocks that are probably below $50 apiece.

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction.


Trey Wilkins
--------
1950 Chevrolet 3100 Five Window
1954 Chevrolet 4100 Dumptruck (Sold)
1957 Chevrolet 6400 Dumptruck
1966 Chevrolet K20 Longbed Fleetside
1966 Chevrolet C60 Grain Truck (Sold)

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Did You try NAPA on line ? alot of the local places do not carry everything if You get the # on line You can bring it to Your local and they can order it . Pete

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I had to measure mine and get them that way. My 63 K20 has a disc brake Dana under it so it's not stock. I just told them the bolt size, shock style and where the center of travel was and the FLAPS looked them up and sent them over.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
I did try NAPA online and they didn't have any listed. I was hoping to save myself some trouble, but it looks like I am going to have to take the shocks into my FLAPS and have them find some to fit. Any idea how much I should be paying? Is it possible to find them for less than $50 each?
Thanks for the quick reply.


Trey Wilkins
--------
1950 Chevrolet 3100 Five Window
1954 Chevrolet 4100 Dumptruck (Sold)
1957 Chevrolet 6400 Dumptruck
1966 Chevrolet K20 Longbed Fleetside
1966 Chevrolet C60 Grain Truck (Sold)

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
Rock Auto has them

The url does not get you to the correct page. Just navigate to your truck.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Rock Auto has Monroe's $22 for one p/n, $26 for the other.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I just looked, the shocks Rock Auto lists are for the 2wd truck.There was no listing for 4x4, which matches up with what my Monroe catalog shows.
Best be would be to go by shock dimension and cross reference. I have the specs for Monroe and Rancho. I'll need compressed length, extended length, and type of ends.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
I hate to sound like an idiot, but I have no idea how to find those measurements. Is it something I can find online (they are the original shocks) or do I have to measure them while on the truck?
Thanks


Trey Wilkins
--------
1950 Chevrolet 3100 Five Window
1954 Chevrolet 4100 Dumptruck (Sold)
1957 Chevrolet 6400 Dumptruck
1966 Chevrolet K20 Longbed Fleetside
1966 Chevrolet C60 Grain Truck (Sold)

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
You'll have to take them off the truck. For full extension, measure from the center of one shock eye to the other eye with the shock fully extended. For the other, do the same with the shock fully collapsed. I do beleive those shocks use rod ends, rather than stud mount.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
i got shocks for my 66 c20, 64 c20, and 63 c10. just went into orielly auto and they looked them up. you would think they could do it for the k20 aswell. good luck. hr

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The 4x4 listings stop at '67, or at least they do in the Monroe catalog.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
If you go to the manufacturer's online they have a section (or did) that did show you the mounting structure for each end. sizes etc. what length is requireed. you have to find a page like this; http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf . you have to look to find these pages as usually they first ask for application and then you get lost. I am going to give you a few links that will lead to a page like the one above.
1-google -monroe and it gave me this link-http://www.shockshopusa.com./index.html and then clicked on s/absorber mountings, then click on the monroe icon and then click omn mounting and length sheets and you will find what will fit yours by dimension.
most manufacturers have these listings
I went with rancho 5,000's for my K910 and found them that way. I would have to dig back for the nbrs. rancho's were once listed under monroe but are seperate now. most of the manuf. have 800 nbrs , you can give them the partiiculars and let them research it for you
ron

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I work parttime at auto zone and did some research when a customer raised his car and wanted longer shocks. took a few minutes and some intelligent guessing wink on my part.



Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I should mention, in addition to Monroe numbers, I also have Rancho numbers, too.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
the Rancho #'s for mine are RS5000 series, frt RS5601 and rears RS5143. I think that the frts are std 4 x 4 for quite a few years and the rears that I have were for a ford application. My rears had the large bolt that went right through the frame and through the shock and the bottom was just std gmc but on a 14 bolt corp. it will just depend on the length of the shock
ron

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 40
Thanks for all the searching, I found a local auto parts specialty store that thinks they can get them for me. About $45 apiece for Rancho shocks...I didn't think it was bad. Those numbers will make the search a lot easier.

Thanks


Trey Wilkins
--------
1950 Chevrolet 3100 Five Window
1954 Chevrolet 4100 Dumptruck (Sold)
1957 Chevrolet 6400 Dumptruck
1966 Chevrolet K20 Longbed Fleetside
1966 Chevrolet C60 Grain Truck (Sold)

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 26
A little late in posting,
but BowTie Bits has shocks, at 86 bucks a set, not too bad,
http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/store_sub.cfm?Category_ID=4&Sub_Category_ID=91


1942 Chevy Firetruck project 1 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix and video

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton -- Now gone
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0