The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#538038 05/15/2009 4:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
I am working on a project for a friend and he wants certain wheels on his truck we are going to put together and they are 6 lug and the truck is 8 lug, my question is, can I change axels and hubs or is it going to be the entire axel and everthing to the spindles.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

year and make?


Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
You'll have to change out the entire rear axle to get rid of the full floating hubs.
You can also fit up 1/2 ton spindles to the front 3/4 ton axle if it's a straight axle.

As mentioned, year and make would be helpful.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
sorry it's a 62 and the doners are a 61 and a 62

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
'61 and '62 IFS ('60 too) is an almost unique setup and it may be hard to find someone who has all the answers. I'd check part numbers for wheel bearings and ball joints and such to know how much of the front you need to swap. But if you have a 1/2-ton with good suspension parts it may be cheaper and less work to swap the entire IFS crossmember with all the pieces.

I could be wrong, but on the rear if they both use the same suspension type I think you can simply swap the complete axle assemblies. You probably don't want to run the 3/4-ton axle ratio anyway.

I know a lot more about '63 to '87 suspensions, but some of the slightly earlier stuff is very similar.

Where in WA are you?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
What kind of wheels are they? If they're aftermarket custom wheels, they might be available in the 8 lug pattern.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 175
To Oldsub I am in Bremerton Wa.

To Longbox55 The wheels are vintage aluminum slots that are on one of the trucks.

Thank you for all you guys information again and again

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Todjob, I live on Bainbridge Island and work in Poulsbo. I've been in Bremerton twice since I last posted in this thread. Maybe sometime I can drop by and look at your project?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Hi there. First time guy here and I got a question. I have a 1951 3100. We want to get it on the road this spring and want to change the 6 lug front hubs to a 5 lug hub. Does anyone know what hub will work?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Welcome to the Bolt. There are several ways to go here. New axles, drilling out the hubs, changing rears and rear suspension + other stuff. Someone that has done this will drop by soon.


~Jim
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
There's 2 ways to do it. 1, get an aftermarket disk brake conversion, or 2, swap to '49-'54 Passenger car hubs and drums. Personally, I would do the first one. The rear axle would have to be swapped as well to keep it matched, but that makes for a good time to go to open driveline and an overdrive trans.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
ole boy, Just find a 53-54 Chevy passenger car and bolt the hubs & drums right on to your truck, no sweat. Not as easy for the rear, you'll need a complete rear end. I'd go a step better though and purchase the kit to swap on 5 lug discs, mucho better than drums.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0