The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 18
I own an all original unrestored 1953 3800 with 216 motor. I know it has the original engine and original harmonic pulley on the front of it. Question is can this 52 years old balancer be functioning properly? I would think the rubber ring would deteriorate. How long can these last. Am I risking a crankshaft failure?

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Getting oil on it will kill them faster than anything. How does it look? Is it weather checked or oil soaked? Is the outer ring still in line with the inner? Can you put some force against it with a prybar and get excessive movement? I've only heard of replacing them when they fail or while one is already off. May also open a can of worms trying to replace it as preventative maintanence too.
Just somethings to think about,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 212
I'm sure they do fail, but I personally have never heard of one doing so. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I have been a car nut all my life. If it looks ok, I would take the "if it's not broke, don't fix it route" Allen

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Yes, they can and will fail. The lifespan of rubber is short, and depends on the formulation and use, and oil will shorten that time. Problem is replacing it. I have found two outits that will rebuild the damper, and they're far from cheap. Most of us continue running the original. My friend is using a fluid filled damper for a small block on his 261, he dad to modify the damper come up with a pulley setup.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
The dampers on 216-261 and some GMC's is different than the typical V-8 damper.It's like a sandwich,plates with rubber in between,it can't slip and spin due to the construction of thru rivits.
Fred,a third place,Dale's Damper rebuilding does a better job for less money,about 100 bucks for any damper,search the web for his address.Dale says he uses a rubber with the same hardness as the original to keep the damper tuning proper.The weight of the internia ring and the rubber is tuned for a certain rpm,whatever that may be.
I was gonna use a Fluidamper on my recent 302 GMC build,but I heard of crankshaft and bearing failures directly related to the use of this style damper when used on GMC 6's.The 302 damper ,at least most of them,is similar to a V-8 type,the outer ring on mine slipped and when I removed it,the outer ring actually fell off!!!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0