The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (2-Ton, Leo, stlcardinalsguy), 125 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,426
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
i was at the street rod nats and i noticed many ppl are now mounting electric fans infront of the radiator between the grill and radiator to do that wouldn't you have to have a fan running in reverse? and if so how would you do that? and last but not least most of the ones i saw running this set up were on stock radiators with V-8s is the cooling that much better with the electric over the clutch or flex engine mounted fans?


1937 1/2 ton
Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Depends on the electric fan, some are made to run one way or the other or either way. A lot also has to do w/the amount of room in the engine bay you have and choice. I have ran an electric fan in front of the radiator w/a fan on the motor before & the electric fan was used only during the time where I was in traffic to control the temp & I have ran just either the stock style or electric fan on front or behind the radiator by themselves...Joe

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Daniel, the "general believe" is that the electric fans that are pullers (go between engine and radiator)are the best and that a good electric fan should pull between 3000 and 4000 cfm...or ever how you measure the air!!

I had a pusher on my 37 that I has a flip switch inside and would run the electric fan when in parades or heavy traffic to help keep it cool. It still over heated sometime. My fan wasn't pulling enough cfm's....and I had a tranny cooler stuck down at the bottom of the radiator to.
So, I am going to put an aluminum in mine next week with the tranny cooler in the bottom. I may go to a 6 blade fan and see what happens and if it doesn't run cool enough I will but me a big puller fan between engine/radiator.

The good thing about running an electric fan all the time is that it is always pulling in the air while your sitting in traffic and at red lights!

Just for thought I have a friend that runs two rail dragsters and thats what he uses........
Hope you got my PM about your guages?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
this mounted on my 51 - 3104

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=0732700-R1-006-1A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=4495365-R1-012-4A_1.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=2650080-R2-026-11A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=0732700-R1-034-15A.jpg
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter/?action=view&current=2650080-R2-014-5A.jpg

pullers need a fan shroud.
pushers do NOT need a shroud but any fan should be mounted about 1/2'' away from the radiator. mine has a full fan support under it and two 3/4 flat stocks at the top. all attached to the main frame mount w/ welded studs.
I run TWO thumbs_up thumbs_up relays for the one fan !! wink

Last edited by carolines truck; 04/11/2009 6:06 PM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I have a pusher fan mounted behind the grille on my truck, cooling my 261. I have it stood off from the radiator about 1/2 inch mounted by parallel bars bolted to the frame that holds the radiator. It works great, and its not visible from outside or under the hood unless you really look up under the grill bars. It keeps the truck cool just fine in 100+ degree temperatures. Mine draws about 20 amps though. I use a thermostat so it doesn't run all the time.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
most dc fans will run both ways, just reverse the post and it will change direction.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Blue 62 finally answered your question, reverse the leads. I picked mine up at a recycler yard. Twin fans and they hold me a 190, exactly the same as the thermostat. No shroud for the pusher and it makes the engine compartment look a lot cleaner. I did put a on/off switch in the line. Also a thermostatically controller so they don't run constantly.

Last edited by gazim; 04/11/2009 2:26 PM.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
but blue simply reversing the lead, i would assume it would be like mounting a boat or airplane propeller on backwards the fan blades are ment to go a specified direction arn't they?


1937 1/2 ton
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
if you reverse the direction the blades will turn the way it needs to. if you have the fan off just hook up the wires. one negative and one pos. see which way it turns and if it is the wrong way switch the posts and it will reverse. think of it more as a ceiling fan. if you switch the little button it reverses direction. even the props on a boat and or plane if they will bolt on backwards it would just have the reverse effect. forward gears would move in reverse and vise versa.

I am in the process of adding an electric fan to mine right now. it came as a fan that goes between rad and engine but is going between grill and rad. it pushes just as much air as it pulled.


Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I think you can wire the straight blade fans to blow either way, but the curved blade fans, which are designed to cut the noise factor, will not work correctly when wired backwards. They will work, but they are very noisey.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
Just bought a Hayden fan. It can be mounted as a puller or pusher, but is shipped as a pusher. To reverse direction, you swap polarity and invert the fan blade.

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
Ran it today, not happy, it ran much hotter than the stock {noisy, no thermo-clutch}fan. I guess 1250cfm wont cut it, and the next step up {1500cfm} costs twice as much.

Gonna look into "modern" fan blades and whether they will allow a thermo-clutch to be installed.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
ob1quixote:
I ran a flex fan with a pusher for years on my 37 and just today have almost completed putting in my new Griffin Aluminum. I hate to hear your problems as I was hoping to use ONLY and electric fan this time around.
If my memory is correct I think Griffin recommended a PULLER fan for my appication (V8 with under 400HP) and I think they suggested a fan that would pull 3000-4000 CFM's. I plan to recheck their site to make sure I read/remember correctly.
I only have 3 inches between radiator and the neck on my water pump. I hope I don't have to re-modify anything.

Now I think I'll just run the 6 blade flex fan up town and around the block just to see what it will do.
How much did you pay for the Hayden?? I can only imagine what a fan pulling 3-4000 cfm's would cost...if it will fit between my engine and radiator.

** Southern Stovebolt Reunion May 30th.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 137
Edit: my fan moves 1400 CFM, not 1250 as stated.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0