Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,476 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#52427 11/15/2005 9:44 AM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 Member | | Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 | Anybody ever try to use one in an Advance Design truck? I can get one cheap that has had a recent rebuild. I know there will be motor mount & bellhousing problems. I have a BOP bellhousing for a V8. I'll have to measure it. Any other problems? Scott
Life is good. Keep on playing.
| | |
#52428 11/15/2005 5:06 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 | There shouldn't be any problem, that engine is the same size as the 230/250 Chevy's. As long as the cam is good, you should be all right. There are some good web site just for the engine. Does it have the four barrel and split exhaust? Joe | | |
#52429 11/16/2005 12:23 AM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 Member | | Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 | I don't know what it has for intake & exhaust yet. It came out of a '67 Tempest with Powerglide. The owner says they swapped for a V8. I'll go get it Wednesday afternoon. It's out in Wentzville. Scott
Life is good. Keep on playing.
| | |
#52430 11/16/2005 1:49 AM | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 15 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 15 | I have one in my 68 Firebird. I overhauled last year, installed 4bbl, headers from Clifford Performance. The gas mileage went from about 12 mpg with the old one bbl, to around 18mpg. Great engine.
Cbaymac
| | |
#52431 11/16/2005 9:44 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | They are a neat engine, but look at the bell housing mount. I think they use a BOP bolt patern. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#52432 11/17/2005 12:28 AM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 Member | | Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 | I just picked up the motor. It has the 1 barrel carb. PO said his kid got about 20mpg stock & that it has about 70K miles on it. The truth? Who knows. It has a timing belt, not a chain. The powerslide has a couple big holes in the case that the PO said the factory did for cooling. Not that I want an auto. I'll have to find a flywheel & see if my bellhousing will fit an SM420. I'll have to look up some web sites to learn more about this motor. Scott
Life is good. Keep on playing.
| | |
#52433 11/17/2005 5:39 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I had one years ago in a '67 Firebird. When the water pump failed I replaced it with a 350 chevy. I don't remember needing a different bellhousing when I swapped, but this was 1977 or 1978 and I don't recall all the details...
I think my solution to a failed water pump cost about twice what I had paid for the car.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#52434 11/17/2005 7:29 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Uncle Scoot, my advice for L22s remains the same - get Santucci's "Chevy Inline 6 Power Manual." He talks a bit about the Pontiac OHC 250 - the big difference is in the head. The rest is nearly (if not completely) the same as the Chevy 250s. Any GM bellhousing should fit - its the same transmission mount as the SBCs. | | |
#52435 11/18/2005 6:34 AM | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 499 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 499 |
'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
| | |
#52436 11/18/2005 11:52 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Shure looks like a BOP bolt pattern in the photo. That was the pioneer engine for timeing belts. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#52437 11/19/2005 1:46 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Oooh, that shiny one would look great in an AD! | | |
#52438 11/26/2005 2:14 AM | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 | My brother had one of these in a 67 firebird. 4 BBl and dual exhaust. It would go like hell. Speedo went to 160. I never saw 160 but I saw it well over 100. I would think that this would be an exellent swap into an AD. He had cam problems. I helped him replace 2 of them. After it ate the 3rd cam he sold it. Weeds. | | |
#52439 11/26/2005 10:30 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | They seem to like revs better than most sixes,so final gearing might not be quite so critical. I like that engine a lot. Speed | | |
#52440 11/26/2005 12:42 PM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 1,586 | Looking back through old road tests in car magazines finds the high output Pontiac OHC 6 with a 4 speed runs zero to 60 in about 10 seconds. With the better tires today,it might run a half second faster.The HP was listed as 207 in most articles.The 67 Firebird probably weighs a little less than an AD truck ,so,better watch out for those kids in their 4 year old Neons,lol. | | |
#52441 11/26/2005 1:40 PM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 311 | Originally posted by Wrenchbender Ret.: Shure looks like a BOP bolt pattern in the photo. That was the pioneer engine for timeing belts. What does "BOP" mean?
Always get a 2nd opinion, especially if I am the source of the 1st opinion.
| | |
#52442 11/26/2005 6:05 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | | | |
#52443 11/28/2005 7:34 PM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Looks like the back end of my Chebby 250 to me... | | |
#52444 11/29/2005 8:23 AM | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 Member | | Member Joined: May 2005 Posts: 33 | The Chevy bolt pattern comes to a peak in the center on top & the BOP (Buick,Olds,Pontiac) has 2 top bolts about 6" apart. The bellhousing I have is for a V8 & the starter mounting location is a couple inches higher than the I6 starter location. The starters are bolted to the block, so I will have to find a bellhousing for an I6. I think I will go ahead with the 235 & then maybe do a swap later after finding all the parts. It's still a cool engine. Scott
Life is good. Keep on playing.
| | |
| |