| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,124 Members48,435 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#52387 11/14/2005 7:03 PM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 10 | I'm looking to buy a farm fresh 1967 4x4. The previous owner told me that the front U-joints are loose, and should be checked out before I do anything but farm driving.
Does any one know how involved and expensive it would be to replace the steering U-joints. Front ball joints are shot too.
The truck is mostly straight with a little rust and a 283. Tell me what you think
pictures are at the link below. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/boundstaffpress/album?.dir=/162f&urlhint=actn,ren%3as,19%3af,0
More Later
Justin
| | |
#52388 11/15/2005 12:58 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | The front "steering" joints in the front axle are replaced as you would a standard driveshaft u-joint. The ball joints are a little tougher. You'll need a special socket to set-up the preload on the upper joint and access to a press or a ball joint press to remove and install the joints into the spindles. Take your time and you'll get it, Scott | | |
#52389 11/15/2005 5:33 PM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 10 | Thanks Scott.
I found out since that this truck doesn't have ball joints. 4x4 truck have a straight axle with a type of roller bearing king pin on top and bottom.
More Later
Justin
| | |
#52390 11/15/2005 7:16 PM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 92 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 92 | That's what I'm talking about too, I just went through mine, Scott | | |
#52391 11/15/2005 11:22 PM | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 10 | If I have to have a press, I'll just take it to my mechanic. Have him align it when he's done.
More Later
Justin
| | |
| |
| |