Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,720 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 | Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a carburator rebuild kit for a Zenith carburator off of a 52 or 53 GMC with a 248 engine? The local carburator shop said they could order it, but we're talking about six weeks lead time.
Last edited by rautru; 03/27/2009 1:16 AM.
Glory Bound...
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Theres really not much in the kit beside a few gaskets, needle, seat and a new mixture screw and spring. I got mine through Jim Carters or the like, at about $40, and I wouldnt again. Much simpler to take the time and make my own gaskets at about $4, then spend the money on the kit.
I can probably dig up the rebuild instructions if your interested. Aint much to these old updrafts!
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 | Thanks Jeff, I think I'll make my own gasket as well.
Glory Bound...
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Okay, Im a dork. For some reason I was thinking updraft carburetor. I have no clue about the regular Zenith carbs!  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Jeff,
You might be a dork, but why shouldn't you be thinking about an updraft carburetor? The title of this thread is "52 GMC COE Carburator Rebuild Kit".
OK, I'm clueless (and possibly a dork).
Tim
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Then I am a dork. Apparently I saw that the first time and replied, then missed it a second time!  How funny... | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | I know what it is. Ive been reading to many of Lovetts darn posts!  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | The GMC COE's were originally equipped with Zenith Updrafts, & the Chevy COE's Carter Updrafts. A previous owner installed one of those smaller Carter Updrafts on my 470 series GMC COE. Got to get that puppy off soon, & get the proper, larger Zenith Updraft Carb. on it. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 127 | Thanks to all that replied. My carb had been working fine, considering the truck hadn't ran in ten years. i first fired it up with a little shot of gas in the air filter and a gallon of prestone antifreeze served as my gas tank while i removed and inspected the original gas tank. The tank was surprisingly clean. But the second time I fired it up, the floats were stuck on the Zenith carb and the engine ran rough. I opened it up and it too was surprisingly clean, but by that time the gasket was a goner. I made my own yesterday and will try it today.
Glory Bound...
| | |
| |