The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, 53 green 1- ton, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy, Jon G), 83 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a carburator rebuild kit for a Zenith carburator off of a 52 or 53 GMC with a 248 engine? The local carburator shop said they could order it, but we're talking about six weeks lead time.

Last edited by rautru; 03/27/2009 1:16 AM.

Glory Bound...
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Theres really not much in the kit beside a few gaskets, needle, seat and a new mixture screw and spring. I got mine through Jim Carters or the like, at about $40, and I wouldnt again. Much simpler to take the time and make my own gaskets at about $4, then spend the money on the kit.

I can probably dig up the rebuild instructions if your interested. Aint much to these old updrafts!

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
Thanks Jeff, I think I'll make my own gasket as well.


Glory Bound...
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Okay, Im a dork. For some reason I was thinking updraft carburetor. I have no clue about the regular Zenith carbs! ohwell


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Jeff,

You might be a dork, but why shouldn't you be thinking about an updraft carburetor? The title of this thread is "52 GMC COE Carburator Rebuild Kit".

OK, I'm clueless (and possibly a dork).

Tim


Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Then I am a dork. Apparently I saw that the first time and replied, then missed it a second time! grin

How funny...


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I know what it is. Ive been reading to many of Lovetts darn posts! grin


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
The GMC COE's were originally equipped with Zenith Updrafts, & the Chevy COE's Carter Updrafts. A previous owner installed one of those smaller Carter Updrafts on my 470 series GMC COE. Got to get that puppy off soon, & get the proper, larger Zenith Updraft Carb. on it.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 127
Thanks to all that replied. My carb had been working fine, considering the truck hadn't ran in ten years. i first fired it up with a little shot of gas in the air filter and a gallon of prestone antifreeze served as my gas tank while i removed and inspected the original gas tank. The tank was surprisingly clean. But the second time I fired it up, the floats were stuck on the Zenith carb and the engine ran rough. I opened it up and it too was surprisingly clean, but by that time the gasket was a goner. I made my own yesterday and will try it today.


Glory Bound...

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0