The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#513975 03/06/2009 7:35 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
I'm perusing the Eastwood Catalog with my coffee this morning.
On Page 8 there's a guy painting a fender. He's wearing a paper suit, is bare headed, and has on a paper mask covering his nose and mouth.
On Page 9, there's a guy suiting up in a full paper suit, with a hood covering his head and neck. Under the hood is a respirator. The back of the hood has a 40 foot hose leading to a fresh air system.

What do I need? Paper mask or $1000.00 air system.
PS, I don't want to die.


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 80
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 80
Most modern paints are catalyzed with isocyanates, which are harmful to the respiratory system.
Get an approved cartridge respirator which is available in either disposable or with reolacable filters, and keep it in a sealed container(I use Tupperware) when not in actual use.
The filters on these respirators have a usable life of appr. 8 hrs., so they need to be replaced frequently.
Air supplied or the hood type are definitely the best,but are expensive if you are only an occasional user.
The cartridge type are the next best thing.
Paper masks are only designed for dust.

I can assure you that the statement"If you can't breathe, nothing else matters" is Very True!

Last edited by Wally Body; 03/06/2009 10:29 PM.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 425
Get a very good respirator with the proper cartridges! A fresh air supply system would be great if you plan on doing much painting. Another thing- you should wear the proper mask when welding inside the garage. Welding fumes are bad too! Cheap paper masks are good for.... well nothing really.

Look at it this way- spend the money to protect yourself, or die of cancer at an early age.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
I sprung for a fresh air system a couple of years ago.
I used the cartridge filter mask before, and I could still smell the paint, when painting. Which made me a little nervous.
Now I don't get any paint smells at all,just fresh air.
The fresh air system is a whole lot cheaper than lung transplants.


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I have not found a cartridge that is good for protecting against isocyanates. All the ones that I have seen warn that it doesn't protect against them. Also, getting a good face seal with the off the shelf mask may not be possible. I was shocked to see a current TV show where the guy was painting a fender wearing a paper mask and using a two stage paint.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Yep,
Protect your Lungs folks!....My wifes Grandfather was a body man all his life and used what at the time was thought to be a good enough respirator...IT WASNT! ....He goes NO-WHERE with out a Oxy Generator attached to him..Poor Ol Bird is onna the nicest gents I have ever met ...an it Stinks to see him in this condition.
He comes up for picnics an such but is always drove indoors to the AC as he cant breath in the Humidity of summer.
So think on that when shoppin for a respirator, From what I have seen an read the only way is with a fresh air hood for acceptable long term protection.
Just my 2 pennies.
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
Remember when grinding rust or sand blasting use a good resperator to keep the Sicila out of your lungs among other things. I have a small deminished air problem that I can't get enough air in my blood stream because of not using protective equipment when younger.
62Blue
don


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Its not just painting and sand blasting guys. I spent 35 years in the printing and finishing business which we also did our nickel, copper, and chrome plating. The years of fumes from those along with MEK's and other stuff I am having problems getting "enough air" these days. We didn't know any better back then but today there is no excuse for not using some decent lung protection.
Its YOUR life. Start protecting it now because 25 years down the road you will not be invincible like you think you are today!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0