The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jon G, frogfarmer, Cletus1950, Wally / Montana, greenie-reddy), 152 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#513350 03/05/2009 5:10 AM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
I know I know.. There has been a ton of frame swap questions on here.. trust me.. I've searched. But I couldn't find any information on swapping a 72 short bed 2 wheel drive to an 85 short bed 4x4 frame. The frame on my 72 is slightly bent, and I've wanted to get a 4x4 anyways. I saw a short bed 87 chevy 4x4 for sale locally for cheap. The 85 is not running and is pretty rusty/dented, but the frame and drive train is in good condition along with a 6 inch lift kit. I'd love to do the swap. Will the mounting holes line up? What challenges lay ahead of me? Has anyone done this?

Many Thanks!


'57 Chevy 210 (235)
'54 Chevy 3800
'49 Pontiac Streamliner (239)
'46 Chevy 3/4-Ton (216) (Sold)
'46 Chevy 1 1/2-Ton (Sold)
'50 Chevy Loadmaster Semi (Sold)
'68 Chevy Stepside (Sold)
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
was this a sore subject? Never been done?


'57 Chevy 210 (235)
'54 Chevy 3800
'49 Pontiac Streamliner (239)
'46 Chevy 3/4-Ton (216) (Sold)
'46 Chevy 1 1/2-Ton (Sold)
'50 Chevy Loadmaster Semi (Sold)
'68 Chevy Stepside (Sold)
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Its not so much a sore subject as one you may find not many people here have much experience with. Plus your question is very specific and few of us have exact knowledge of '85 or '87 trucks.

My neighbor once owned a '73 Chevy pickup that was mounted on a '72 Chevy 4x4 pickup frame. He bought it that way, and sold it that way, so he may have little knowledge of how it was done.

I think you'll find some of the mounts close, but others will take a fair amount of work.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 79
I appreciate your feedback, Oldsub. I might post to a couple of other websites (not that they are as good as this one). But maybe they would have more insight on this subject. Thanks again. And if anyone else has any advise, please feel free to post!

Last edited by smokinjoe3; 03/06/2009 5:02 AM.

'57 Chevy 210 (235)
'54 Chevy 3800
'49 Pontiac Streamliner (239)
'46 Chevy 3/4-Ton (216) (Sold)
'46 Chevy 1 1/2-Ton (Sold)
'50 Chevy Loadmaster Semi (Sold)
'68 Chevy Stepside (Sold)
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Not much chance of any bolt holes (bodymounts) lining up but you can mix and match the frame mounts between the two chassis' and come up with a solution I'm sure. Doesn't sound that difficult to me. Good luck with it and take lots of pictures for our viewing pleasure,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0