The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (walter74, SWEET, Jerry 53, 68ironhead), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,489
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#506529 02/16/2009 5:19 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 38
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 38
Decided to pull the bearings out of the Tranny but I am having a problem with he front bearing. It has a "Cutch gear bearing retainer nut" that screws onto the input shaft and holds everthing. It has two holes on either side, and I am sure there is some simple method for unscrewing this from the shaft but I am unable to figure it out or dont have the right tool. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.


1951 Chevy 3100 5 window with a 1958-60 235 and original 4 speed.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Purney,

There is a simple shadtree procedure to accomplish this. Secure the clutch gear in a vise with soft jaws and using a drift punch, tap the retainer off, unscrewing it in a normal CCW rotation.

A brass drift would be the first choice, but a steel drift won't do any real damage. If you don't have any store bought soft jaws, a couple of pieces of wood would work.

Make sure the clutch gear (input shaft) is held securely and doesn't wiggle around. The sharp smacks with the drift must shock the retainer so things must be held tight.

Be sure to hold your mouth right, that's the secret.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
I noticed when I rebuilt mine that someone had taken a punch or chisel to the threads. This was pretty common as a way to make sure they didnt come apart in the future. I had to file what I could and work that retainer back and forth with a punch and hammer to remove it. It was a pain in the @ss but I got it off eventually. I imagine you could use some sort of spanner wrench with the clutch gear stuffed in a vice.

Good luck, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Its been a long time but I think they are left handed threads. Take a good look at them or if someone has done one & remembers chime in here.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Wrenchbender is correct, I was mistaken, the threads on the clutch gear ARE left hand. The retainer will come off in a CW direction.eek
Stuart

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
rustednuts is correct...there is a SPANNER WRENCH
made for this difficult nut retainer.

see a pic of it here @ photobucket.com
just click on the link
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/glp0329/KentMooreJ2670.jpg

it took me 6 months to hunt this tool down.
It finally came up on ebay.

G.


1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 38
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 38
I thought so! However, the good news I put a punch in one of the holes and gave a light whack in the CW direction and it spun right of with any effort. sheeesh.


1951 Chevy 3100 5 window with a 1958-60 235 and original 4 speed.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0