The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Cletus1950, TUTS 59, 3800GUY, Patina 54, Wayne67vert, JW51), 134 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,098
Posts1,056,167
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#496081 01/22/2009 1:47 AM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 8
I bought this truck a while back... March'08
I got the shop ready and now i am getting into it.
I started at the rear end. I got the box off and tore into the rear axle, bearings, brakes and differential. I'll go with patricks 3.55 and bearings to start. rebuild the huck brakes. have been doing some research on the saginaw swap. will it bolt up to the 228 bell housing? Its a torque tube 4 speed, all original out of wyoming, no holes, paint is rusted off it but in really decent shape, it even runs and don't burn a drop.I think this will not be a problem. I am not without skills. I am a newbie here, but not to the wrench.
I used to own a '49 chevy 3/4 ton 4 speed almost 30 yrs. ago when I was in the navy in Sandiego, but it got stolen. A very hot item when in decent shape and even easier to steal from a sailor out to sea 5 days a week.
Anyway, I love the site, very informative. Lots of experience and knowledge in these pages.
I will post pictures soon.

Last edited by Peggy M; 08/22/2023 1:17 AM.

1949 GMC FC102 4 speed
1970 Corvette t-top 350 350hp 4 speed
1997 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4
1999 Saturn SC1
Bolter#17856
ctzr1 #496088 01/22/2009 1:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Leo Offline
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,215
Welcome to the site. I also went with Patrick's 3.55 rear end. I've also kept the torque tube and 4 speed. Looks like you're on the right track.

Leo #496115 01/22/2009 2:52 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 346
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 346
Welcome to the Stovebolt,ctzr1 wave Nice to see another Navy guy join us. I went to boot camp in San Diego in '68. Go NAVY!


Terry K.

1951 5 window 1/2 ton

The only way to have a friend is to be one.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

27Capitol #496189 01/22/2009 4:26 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
wave Welcome. Come on in and sit a spell. Lots to talk about when your talking old trucks!

Last edited by Achipmunk; 01/22/2009 4:26 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0