The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (39Master85, Shaffer's1950, Gray_Ghost, Red75bronco, wvstovebolt, Cosmo), 66 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
Hi,

The back two plugs of the '58 235 in my '51 4400 are sooty and I was wondering if you all could point me in the right direction. I changed the plugs out and drove it a couple of miles and #5 & #6 are already showing soot.

The plugs, wires, cap, rotor, are new, and I'm running electronic ignition (Duraspark II module with Chrysler pickup in the stock distributor) with plugs opened up to .44. Vacuum and mechanical advance are functioning. The other four look great. Compression ranged from 111 to 120. No visible smoke from the tailpipe. It's got the stock carb and manifolds, btw.

Overall the engine seems weak and underpowered (inevitable in a big bolt, I'm sure) and maybe needs more timing, but this doesn't explain the difference in plugs. Where do I go from here to chase this down? Thanks!

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 239
I would have to assume what you're seeing is not soot, as left by excess fuel, but oil , probably from a worn valve guide.

The way these engines are designed, if any cylinders get too much fuel, it will be the center ones. That's what is making me think you're seeing an oil problem.

You've obviously done a compression test, your numbers are even, so it should not be in the rings. That leaves valve guides.

Devin


If you can't hose it out it ain't a truck

55 3100
63 Corvair Monza
64 El Camino
72 240Z
01 Suburban
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
I don't know... the plugs are dry, not oily. The fouling looks like, well, soot. Like you put the end of the plug in the flame of a candle.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I would try another set of plugs. If it does it again, you can start trouble shooting then.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
If they are still firing just switch the front two for the back two and recheck after some miles on it.
Also what is your driving habits, slow around town, road where speeds get up some? Intake gaaket OK? Maybe try a different range plug in those?
Just making suggestions but I to would "lean" toward a valve guide...pull the valve cover and check the seals. New seals may help out.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
With The fuel we get today it takes just a little bit rich to get that light soot coating on the plugs. Check your heat risor valve maybe stuck open. That would get less heat to the end cyls. & cause it to be rich. Check the float level in the carb. Try leaning down the idle mixture screw. Make sure the vacuum outlet in the bottom of the carb has a passage to the intake manifold vacuum. You may have to go 1 or 2 thousands smaller on the main metering jet.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
The heat riser is something that I haven't thought of checking. Good idea and thanks a bunch for your suggestions.

I replaced the plugs last weekend and drove it hard for a couple of miles. That was enough to show significant signs of carbon on 5 & 6 with it present on the insulator and the center electrode (but mostly on one side), as well as on the face of the body of the plug.

I've been really hesitant to crack open the Rochester B on it as it barely leaks at all and I was hoping to keep it that way. I'll probably have to break down and do it if I can't figure this out.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 79
Just for grins and giggles, if all of the previous suggestions fail, try a hotter plug in those two cylinders. The plug seats may not be cut as deep into the head on those two.

Last edited by Dave O.; 10/28/2008 4:59 PM.

1949 "Heinz 57"
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
I am leaning toward crossed plug wires my self maybe a cracked cap. Then valve stem seals or worn guides.
If it is black soot it is fuel if it is gray ash it is oil.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If it runs good & doesn't act too rich I am with you. Just leave it alone. Do you use extended tip plugs?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
Yep, they're extended. I used Autolite 85's as they were the only appropriate ones my auto parts place had in stock. They're supposedly equivalent to Champion RJ12YC or AC R44S.

Hopefully I can find some time to tinker with it this weekend.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Yes, double check wires, may have swapped the back two and plugs would look black if in wrong order. Wires could be just junk, swap with others to make sure.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 22
Well, I re-tested compression with a new tester I bought as I kind of suspected my old one was reading low. The new test showed every hole reading 140 to 147 psi dry (kinda high??), so that confirms the compression rings at least are OK. All ignition components are brand new (except for the coil and ignition module) and I double checked the wires for correct order. The heat riser is free with intact thermostatic spring, too. I even checked the intake gasket seal with propane and no rpm change was found.

I guess the valve seal guys must be right.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
Originally Posted by JiMerit
Yes, double check wires, may have swapped the back two and plugs would look black if in wrong order.

I'm a V8 guy so I could be wrong but wouldn't swapping the rear two wires make it run like dog shet?


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0