| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,422 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 1 | Me and my dad just got a Chevy C10 truck that comes with A/C and an automatic transmission. I believe it has the 283 in it. I just took off the starter today and had a neighbor repair the insides for me for free (good neighbors like that are hard to find). Then I ran over to Autozone to get a new set of points and condenser for the distributor. Finally I hooked up a new battery and poured a few table spoons of gas down the carb to see if she would fire up and it purred like a kitten for about 3 to 4 seconds.
Tomorrow I think I'll drop the tank and have the insides cleaned out cause the old gas in there had been setting for about 2 years and probably gummed up the line, it smells pretty bad. I was really surprised to find out that it still runs after so long. Its not in that bad of shape and I hear an automatic C10 with A/C is hard to find these days. I have no idea on how much its going to cost to restore her, but I know one thing I'll be driving it down the road here pretty soon. Its even got a 3 gun rack settin in the rear window so I can carry around my 12ga. this dove season here in central Texas. I feel like a kid who just got his first vehicle all over again, except this ones gonna take some time to get it down the road again.
This is my first post and I know its pretty long and all but I just wanted to see maybe if I could pick some brains around here when ever I run in to a stump with this project on getting this C10 in good working order. I'll definitely post some pics whenever I get it running. Nice meetin yall. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 15 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 15 | Thats cool. I have a 283 in my 69. they are good engines easy to work on. all the old truck are easy to work on but costly somedays | | | | | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 150 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 150 | I bought a '65 in 1982 for the princely sum of $200, and finally sold it last year, due to my knees. I loved that truck, and miss it at times. We went from the original 283, to a 396 (my Dad loved eating new "sports cars" for lunch), to a straight six and finally a '70 Corvette 350. Enjoy your truck, and take comfort in knowing they are hard to kill. Mike | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 346 | Welcome to the Stovebolt, gg1519. Fixing up an old truck takes only two things, Time and Money. But you'll love it when its done, not to mention all the great people you meet along the way.
Terry K.
1951 5 window 1/2 ton
The only way to have a friend is to be one. -Ralph Waldo Emerson-
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | gg1519: welcome to the premiere place for truck guys and gals. I think you will fit right in. Always did love the 65/66 model as that is when I worked at the chevy place. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 382 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 382 | Welcome gg1519...you've got a good one there...maybe fix us up with some pictures(time permitting).  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 131 Certified Bolt Nut | | Certified Bolt Nut Joined: Nov 2007 Posts: 131 | Good to see another from the Lone Star State at the Bolt. Welcome! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 114 | Welcome gg1519;
Yes, we love to see photos of your truck... I'm not sure how rare A/C is for Texas, but up here in Minnesota A/C was very rare in a truck back in 1966. We were more interested in heaters in the truck!
Welcome, Brian | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 313 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 313 | When I bought my 1966 C-10 in 2006, it had not been driven much for about 7 years. It required about $1,300 in work before it was safe to use. It has a 283 and a Powerglide transmission.
Factory AC was a fairly rare option in these trucks. It sounds like you got a desirable truck.
You will find that these trucks are really easy to repair, and parts are readilly available. They are very dependable too.
| | |
| |
| |