The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (KEVINSKI, Dennys28), 96 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#463671 10/21/2008 8:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Hi there,
I'm a new member of Stovebolt, and I'm not sure if I'm going about this right. So please bare with me. I recently purchased a truck from one of my neighbors who was recently widowed. He was a farmer who did all of his work with really old equipment that he kept in inpeckable condition. He and his wife bought the truck with the intention of getting it up and running like all of his other equipment, and then he passed away. One of the reasons she sold it to me was the passion I have for the truck, much like her husband did. The truck isn't pretty, but its very complete and solid, and it grew on me everytime I saw it. I can't wait to try and get it running.

I'm trying to get the truck title transferred into my name, but the county licensing dept. is making it a bit difficult. I have the title and a few other pieces of documentation, but nothing stating how much it weighs, and thats where the county is being a stickler. I wish it ran, I'd just drive it down to the local scales to take care of it. I was wondering if someone knows how much the truck weighs approximately, and if theres any kind of documentation showing the weight, and any other details. Which the county says would be acceptable.

Any information someone might be able to send me would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited to go down this path with the old truck and learn its history. I still have to come up with a name for it too. Thank you much for your time, hope to hear from someone soon.

Paul

P.S. Here are some of the truck numbers. Thanks again
1946 Chevy 1.5 Ton, VIN /Serial # 21PKC2412, Title # 552372

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
It probably weighs around 5,500 lbs. Do you have any friends at the public scale?

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 39
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 39
Welcome to the 'bolt Paul! I'm somewhat new myself, but don't have a truck (yet). Getting the weight is going to be a little tough given that it is a dump truck. Some guys on here might be able to help you out with the weight of the chassis, cab, etc., but adding the dump bed will be the tricky part.

On the other hand! Congratulations on getting your bolt. Its always good to hear a story that goes with a piece of equipment no matter what it is (I'm also into Allis Chalmers farm equipment). Good luck on your endeavor to get her running. How bad is it? Do you know what exactly is wrong? Do you have any pictures to submit to the gallery? No matter what it is, you came to the right place. Everyone here will be able to answer your questions as long as your patient.


Also, if your in need of parts, there is a very good source that I have heard of and my dad has met. I have not dealt business with him yet, however he has been VERY helpful before I have even had a truck. His website is oldchevytrucks.com. It looks like he has just about anything you could ever need...AND WANT!!! LOL.

Again, welcome to the 'bolt!


No 'bolt yet, but if you'd like to help me out with that, send me a message! Or check out my wanted add in the swap meet.
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Thanks for your input. I was guessing around 6000 lbs. I don't have any friends at the scale, but I might have access to the old portable style. I've seen one of Glen Foster's trucks here, and it was almost identical. I'll just be patient to see what I might hear.
Thanks again

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Paulp: If you'll send me an e-mail with the body/hoist description I can give you a pretty close weight approximation.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305

Every one wants more info for that old truck, but some times it is hard to come into. Well I found out awile ago that GM offers a free, yes FREE, restoration pack for your truck. You get specs and info on the trucks produced for that year, also restoration parts suppliers list.
You have to get the VIN# for your truck and call them with that # and they mail out a packet to you. So if you don't have one get one..And this also works with most any Chevrolet truck or car you may restore..
Chevrolet Phone # 1-800-222-1020
it will have your turck weight in the pack


ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to,
Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
AND A MARINE
trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 305
check out the links for brads 41-46 chevy trucks page vin decoder


ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to,
Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
AND A MARINE
trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,079


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
After repeated attempts to get a resto pack for my 57' BelAir I gave up. I don't think it is a reliable source of info and you can get better advice right here for your truck.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
If you get that resto pack, keep in mind that they will only provide the info on the chassis as it left the factory. In other words, just the chassis and cab, no bed or dump system which can add up to another 3'000 lbs depending on the year and size of box, axle & suspension upgrades, etc. My '56 was listed as a 6'500 chassis weight with a 16K gross, but with the box and add-ons weighs in at over 9,000 with a 21k gross.

There should be a scale around your area, there's always something. Just gotta look around at places like truck stops, shipping companies, feed/seed stores, and make a few calls. You may be able to get it towed, weiged, and get a certified ticket relatively cheap. Just a matter of what it's worth to your sanity when dealing with the DMV really. grin
If you're not already dealing wih the actual office (instead of a contracted location)you might take it to another DMV office. There's oddly a difference in the people at the desk, the folks you're dealing with may just not care enough to help you out more. Having dealt with he WA DMV for odd projects on several occasions, I know that's petty common.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Paul welcome to the bolt!

Where abouts in Washington are you?

I have the restoration pack for the 1941-47 Chevrolets. I can scan and email you the weights for it. As mentioned above its not quite the same when you add a hoist, etc. I told them when I got the title in my name for my COE that GMCs and Chevrolets of the same era would have had quite a bit of difference in weight but they could have cared less.

They did want me to get a scale weight once I had finished adding the hoist and flatbed. There are a few places in my area that they recommended to me, that I could get a scale weight.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3
Thank you all for the info. and welcomes,
My wife and I from Spokane WA. have tried several times for the restoration packet from Chevy, but have been told there isn't one available for that year of truck. So Jeff, if you could scan an email me that info. that would be awesome.
I don't have any pics to post yet, and I think its just gonna take lots of T.L.C. to get it running. But everything seems to be there. In fact, it came with a complete extra engine, tranny, and rear end. So this should be fun, just need to sell my '61 2 Ton to fund it and find the time.
Anyway, thanks again everybody. I look forward to hearing and learning more about these neat old trucks. Take care !

Paul


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0