The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (baldeagle), 158 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
I just bought a 1963 chevy shortbed stepside. It has a strait six in it and the block number is 3994257. I cant seem to find this number anywhere. Can you help? I need to know what it is so I can buy the parts to do the tune up.

Thanks

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
According to a book I have, Chevy pick-ups 1946-1972 by John Gunnel, 1963 intoduced 2 new sixes. The standard motor was a 230 and the optional motor was a 292. The 230 is described as an overhead valve design with wedge shaped combustion chambers. 140hp/220torque. The 292 had aluminized inlet valves and chrome top piston rings. 165hp/280torque. This is what they would be if your motor is original. Hopes that helps narrow it down.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
Oldtruck, that block casting number is from a '67-'72 250. I found it listed here.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
Get the stamped number next to the distributor, last two or three letters then visit:
http://no25.homestead.com/page3.html

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 5
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the info regarding my motor. I believe that it is a 250. I am interested to see what kind of head is on it. I am wondering if this is a frankenstien motor, you know mixed and matched. Does anyone know if the 250 is a good motor? Where would I go to get the spec's?

Thanks

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
That engine has 7 main bearings. It's basically bulletproof. The "Chevy Inline 6 Power Manual" is a great source of info, as is the article that recently appeared in Hot Rod magazine.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0