| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
155
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,241 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#45919 06/06/2005 5:51 AM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 5 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 5 | I just bought a 1963 chevy shortbed stepside. It has a strait six in it and the block number is 3994257. I cant seem to find this number anywhere. Can you help? I need to know what it is so I can buy the parts to do the tune up.
Thanks | | |
#45920 06/06/2005 6:23 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | According to a book I have, Chevy pick-ups 1946-1972 by John Gunnel, 1963 intoduced 2 new sixes. The standard motor was a 230 and the optional motor was a 292. The 230 is described as an overhead valve design with wedge shaped combustion chambers. 140hp/220torque. The 292 had aluminized inlet valves and chrome top piston rings. 165hp/280torque. This is what they would be if your motor is original. Hopes that helps narrow it down. | | |
#45921 06/06/2005 7:59 AM | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 452 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 452 | Oldtruck, that block casting number is from a '67-'72 250. I found it listed here.
Curt ---- 1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan --"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
| | |
#45922 06/06/2005 11:36 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 662 | Get the stamped number next to the distributor, last two or three letters then visit: http://no25.homestead.com/page3.html | | |
#45923 06/07/2005 5:02 AM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 5 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 5 | Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the info regarding my motor. I believe that it is a 250. I am interested to see what kind of head is on it. I am wondering if this is a frankenstien motor, you know mixed and matched. Does anyone know if the 250 is a good motor? Where would I go to get the spec's?
Thanks | | |
#45924 06/07/2005 6:01 AM | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | That engine has 7 main bearings. It's basically bulletproof. The "Chevy Inline 6 Power Manual" is a great source of info, as is the article that recently appeared in Hot Rod magazine. | | |
| |
| |