The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Snowman51, Steelonsteel), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,646
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
I have a 65 C10 that needs restoring. I also am about to replace the engine in my 98 C1500. Please, tell me if this is correct. I think I can rebuild the Vortech 350 that came in my 98 C1500 and replace the DI distributer with an HEI distributer then replace the intake and throttle body with an intake and carb, then add a timing indicator plate. Would that work in my 65 without a computer? Am I not taking something into consideration that may make this more difficult that it sounds?

Thanks,

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 12
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 12
That should work just fine.


SO MUCH TREASURE, SO LITTLE TIME (and money)!!!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
It will work, but you will need the Vortec specific intake manifold to make it work properly, as the ports are different from the older 350s. Carburator intakes with the correct ports are available, Edelbrock has them for sure. Might even have a complete package for the conversion, check with Summit or Jegs for a package like that. You may also need an electric feul pump, IIRC, the Vortec engine doesn't have a provision for a mechanical pump (don't quote me on that, though).


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
It can be done, I put a Vortech crate in a 76 'Vette. There's a little more to it than just the intake, which is just a conversion intake but specific to the Vortech heads. I think you will also need a waterpump and a flex plate/flywheel to adapt to the older drivetrain parts too, and maybe a new balancer. I would go talk to a GM parts guy, he'll have a list of parts and instuctions as to adapting a Vortech to your truck,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I've recently seen several magazine articles about using LS motors in older stuff. You might check the news stands to see if you can find one that is helpful.

I've been thinking about an LSx for an older car, so I've noticed those swaps. But I bet Vortec swaps are covered in detail too.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
You might pm Woogeroo, he has one in his '65(not sure if it is vortech), but he's having problems with the starter so he might not be able to help you right now.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0