The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, JW51, Jon G), 114 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Don't know if anyone out there is working on WWII Chevies, but I thought I'd toss up a few snaps of the '42 cargo that I'm converting over to a dump.

I've spent a couple years tracking down / fabricating the factory spec parts to make this conversion. The dump bed and hoist were made by Hercules. Somewhere along the way, the front lip of the bed was cut off and the tailgate was pretty well mangled. I made up new parts for both and welded them on. The bed isn't in great condition, but it will do for now until I fabricate new parts for the sides, floor and front.

The only non-original thing I've done is put a one-ton civilian clip on the truck. (Yeah, I know, it's kind of funky, but I just love that grill.) No cutting or modifications were made to support the civvy clip, other than flipping the military bumper upside down. I keep the military clip assembled as a unit and two guys can switch out the front ends in about an hour or so.

Still a lot of work to go, but thinking about the weekends is what gets me from Monday to Friday.

If anyone is looking for a really nice orginal cargo bed, check out my posting on the parts for sale section.

Images: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1688

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Heeeyyyy--I like that;that's cool!
Nice work!
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
Wow! eek Looks great, works great, is great. thumbs_up


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 73
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 73
Thats a cool looking truck!

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Thanks for the notes. As soon as my universal joint parts come in, I'm hoping to hook the PTO driveshaft up and test the pump. Once I've got that unit all set, then I can put the bed back on and try it out.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Really a great looking truck. If you extend the hoist cylinder w/o the body on it you'll almost certainly need a come-along to retract it but you are likely aware of that. Nice work too.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Thanks for the heads-up on the cylinder retraction. I've got a little hand come-along that I'll hook up to ease it back into position.



Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 173
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 173
I wish my truck were a 4x4.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Any plans for the military cargo bed? Do you need any other parts for your conversion?

[email protected]

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Great looking truck. Easy does it.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 11
Thanks for your note.

Ideally, I'd like to sell the cargo bed, as it's in great shape and would be perfect for someone doing a cargo restoration.

I've posted photos and details here: https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/419356#Post419356

If it doesn't sell, then I'm going to modify it to become a dump bed. The dump bed that I have now is in pretty tough shape, with lots of dents and rust. The cargo bed is identical to the dump on the topside, but there are significant differences underneath. To make the conversion, it will require flipping the cargo bed over and stripping all the under supports off and replacing them with the ones from the dump bed. The lower section of the front face is also different, primarily as regards the hole where the gas filler goes through. On a cargo, it's literally just a hole cut through the front side. On the dump, it's an arch, which enables the bed to raise and lower over the filler neck.

Also, the back end is totally different. There's no underside tool box on a dump truck and the taillights are mounted on separate brackets that attach to the chassis, as opposed to the back panel of the cargo bed.

If you're interested, let me know. I'm in Los Angeles, so at least we're in the same state.

I'm pretty much at the end of my parts quest, though I am searching for the following items: the "bumpers" that are riveted onto the chassis above the helper springs to serve as stops for them, and one of the cast spacer parts that goes in between the helper spring and the main spring. (I believe these are interchangeable between civilian and military trucks.) The other thing that I'm in the process of fabricating, but would still like to get an original of, is the pillow block bearing that supports the PTO driveshaft. It's kind of a cheap, pressed-steel unit, and I have the remnants of an original that I'm using for a pattern, but I'd still like to get the real deal some day.

I've posted some photos of those items here: http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgallery.php?cat=1685

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any of these items or are interested in the bed.

John



Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0