The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (physcult, Bill Hanlon, Phak1, moparguy, Joe H, dt235sd), 100 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,682
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419090 06/02/2008 3:08 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
We had the hood hinges powdercoated, now the hood will not stay up on it's own. Could the heat from powdercoating affected the tension in the springs? Went to our first cruise Saturday and had to use a hood prop to keep the hood up. Any way to adjust the springs? Hate to buy a new set of hinges. Hood fits perfectly, but just won't stay up!!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
hinges need friction between the parts at the rivets that pivot them, I don't think powder coating would be a good thing ... the easy test would be a new set of springs, but I'd think the hinges are the problem

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
There's no way to adjust the springs that I know of. Powder coating gets to about 400deg F. I don't know if that would rob the springs of their temper or not. I replaced several hood hinges back in the day & the new ones didn't have a LOT of friction at the joints but Bill could be right about the springs being designed for a little. I agree that the true test would be replacing the springs with new (uncoated) springs & see what happens. If you want them colored you might try some spray paint.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #419443 06/03/2008 1:30 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
Coach,
I put brandy new hinges on mine, whatever finish came on em i left as is ...an they BARELY hold my hood open..you jossle the truck around with the hood up it will come down quick!...Im just wonderin if the aftermarket hinge springs are just THAT aftermarket JUNK?...or are yours factory?
Tim


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Mine are factory, Tim. They were OK before the powdercoating, but now they won't hold at all. I guess I will just use the prop rods for awhile. I hate to mess with the hood again since we got a nice fit the last time!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by coach-frank
Mine are factory, Tim. They were OK before the powdercoating, but now they won't hold at all. I guess I will just use the prop rods for awhile. I hate to mess with the hood again since we got a nice fit the last time!
Did you coat the springs? Do you have any current pics of the hinges with springs?


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #419589 06/03/2008 10:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Yes , we did coat the springs, will take some photos and post them.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Hood hinge springs used to be a dime a dozen at the salvage yard. Prolly hava hard time finding them now though.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #419605 06/03/2008 11:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,181
Try Hoodagra.

WARNING: If your springs can't keep your hood up more than 4 hours, please see a mechanic. Although hood openings lasting for more than 4 hours may occur rarely, as with all spring treatments in this repair class please be careful. To avoid long-term injuries, it is important to seek immediate mechanical help.

The most common side effects of Hoodagra are blocked vision, getting mad, and upset wallet. Less commonly are bluish vision, blind spots and or sensitivity to jokes about Hood Disfunction may briefly occur.




I AM SO SORRY, I just could not resist. I'm surprized no one beat me to this, esp. with some of these serious jokers!

Last edited by V-6 Fix Modelman; 06/04/2008 3:14 AM.

1960 GMC 305A V-6 Gallery Page
Remember, the government cannot give --anything to anyone --that they have not first taken away from someone else.
BUY AMERICAN http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/index.html
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
As part of looking at the nifty new bed you made for your granddaughter, I saw the pictures of your hinges. I think you may have them swapped from side to side. Doesn't the spring go outboard? As you have them mounted, the spring will hit the firewall and not allow the hood to go completely up.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
I have my hinges mounted the same way you do, coach-frank, and my hood stays up just fine. By the way, I hope my 53 looks half as good as yours when I'm done with it. You have one fine looking bolt, and should be proud of the job you have done!

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
I think Tmater might have a good point here. The hinges don't look like they are fully extended. There is a little tab that touches one of the pivoting arms on my hinges when they are up all the way. Just checked. If mine aren't up fully, the hood does not stay up. By the way I have the spring facing the same way as yours. Doesn't necessarily mean it's right though.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 83
Could it be the wrong springs?


1999 GMC Yukon
1957 GMC 100 Panel
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I don't think so Doug9656, all the 1/2 to one ton trucks are the same parts, I don't know if the big bolt hinges would be different or not.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
This topic is almost 1 1/2 years old - I think he's already fixed it by now.


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
54TOW #603115 12/21/2009 2:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 866
Yep I fixed it by picking up a used set of springs and painting them. I still believe the powder coating caused them to loose their tension and strength. I put the new springs on the same way and now the hood stays up. Thanks Guys!
Coach Frank

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
oops, I looked at the month/day but ignored the year.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0