The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Donf, Nick in Manitou, 1955 1 Series, jay d, 2 invisible), 87 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,633
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#418197 05/30/2008 1:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 33
OK so sometime in the near future i want to do the T-5 swap in my 55 first, what later model rear should i use? What ratio am i looking for?

Thanks


- Zach Morris
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
I'd use the one you got. Others may have different opinions.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
I agree. I'm running a T5 with a 3.90 '55 rear end in my 46. A good combination.

George

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I agree the original is fine. If you go to a stronger engine like a 350 v-8 You might want to go to a 3.55.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
There are a few factors you need to consider before selecting a particular T5 model and a ring and pinion ratio to match.

Most importantly, you want your final setup to optimize your engines potential and to fit your driving style. In my particular case, I have a built, low-end torque 235 engine coupled to a 1985 NWC .72 OD T5 turning a 88 Camaro 3.42 R&P and running a 28" tall rear tire. My truck cruises at 70 mph at 2000 rpms and it is a daily driver. My particular .72 OD came from behind a 2.8L V-6 truck.

This particular combo lets me drop down to 45 mph in 5th gear without a downshift, and accelerate with traffic. In all honesty, and after putting on 5000 miles, I would have been a bit happier to have had a R&P ratio in the 3.55 to 3.73 range. It cruises fine at 55-65 mph at 16-1700 rpm range, but my vacuum gauge tells me she would be more efficient at closer to 2400 rpms at 60-65mph. With fuel economy an issue today, the shorter R&P ratios might be just the ticket, especially if you like to putz along, or are in real hilly country.

The T5's come in several OD ratios...the .72 and .86 are common for the Non-World (NWC) class S10 boxes. Also the Pre-89 boxes are set up for a mechanical speedo while the later T5's are for electronic speedos. My 3.76 1st gear has me shifting at about 15 mph....the .86 OD NWC T5 from behind the 2.5L 4 cylinder with a 4.03 1 st gear would drop the 1st gear shift point even lower. I consider my .72 box to be an ideal setup.....3.42's Camaro diffs (62" wide) are plentiful while the 3.73's are a little more scarce.

Of course, there is another option with the World Class (WC) T5's that are found behind the 305 SBC Camaro. You didn't mention what your engine size was going to be....the NWC T5 would be fine behind the 235-261. If you're running a stock 350, the WC T5 would be okay for normal driving applications. However, you will need to change out the tailshaft to the shorter NWC S10 version to get proper location for your floor shifter. Also getting the speedo "drive" gear located on the output shaft so that you can have a speedo, takes some special effort. The gear ratios are a little closer together but by the time you pay for the WC box, the short tailshaft housing and get the speedo drive gear properly positioned, the NWC S-10 T5 will be your least costly and less difficult install.

I've got a fairly comprehensive photo documentation of my T5 install in my Webshots albums "Shoebox" and "Tips and Tricks." It will outline all of the modifications you'll have to make and I've documented the process with pictures.

Upgrading to an overdrive transmission has transformed my truck into a great driving machine that utilizes the full potential of the 235 engine. I've done most all of the R&D to getting it installed and after 5K without any problems, I'd highly recommend the upgrade.

Dave




Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
someone explain to me....again, what the difference is in world class and NON world class. I read it awhile back but can't remember!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The WC is stouter. It came in Camero's & mustangs. The big difference is the brgs. on the countershaft. Some of the gears are stronger. The WC use a Milar coating on the syncro's. Ive worked on both & havn't seen a lot of difference.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thanks George.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0